Student Immigration Service

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

You need a CAS number to apply for a visa. The process to get a CAS number is different depending on what type of student you are. Find out what you need to do to get your CAS number.

What is a CAS number and why do I need one? 

A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is an electronic document that generates a reference number you need to be able to apply for a visa. A CAS number confirms to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) that we wish to sponsor your study in the UK.  

Before you request a CAS

You'll need to read our Guidance for Issuing a CAS. By requesting a CAS, you are confirming that you have read and understood the principles outlined in this document.

Guidance for CAS issuance 2023

How to get a CAS number

New students

You can request a CAS as soon as you have accepted an unconditional offer. How long it takes to receive your CAS number depends on your level of study and the time of year.

Current students

If you are a current student, returning from interruption, or if you have deferred your studies - you can request a CAS by contacting us through our enquiry form.

Deferred students

You will need a new CAS number if you have deferred your studies.

Pre-sessional students

If you have an offer for an English Pre-sessional programme, you do not need to request a CAS from us. We will issue your CAS number once we receive the required information from your school.