How to apply for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate
How to complete your ATAS application form, what you need to prepare and what to do if your application is delayed or refused.
An overview of the application process
- Check your offer letter from the University to see if you need ATAS clearance for your programme.
- Get the CAH3 code from your offer letter.
- Create an account on the ATAS website with your email address. We recommend you use an internationally recognised email server, for example Outlook, Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail or similar (ATAS have experienced difficulties with firewalls for local servers).
- Complete and submit the online application form on the ATAS website.
- Wait for a decision.
- Receive an email about your application (If your ATAS application is successful, you will receive a PDF file with your ATAS certificate in the email).
If you need to apply for a visa or a visa extension, you must get your ATAS certificate before you start your visa application.
If you are a new student you can apply for ATAS after you have received a conditional offer from us. You can find the details you need to complete your ATAS application in your offer letter.
Do not wait to get your CAS number before you start your ATAS application.
You must get your ATAS certificate before your CAS number is issued.
Normally, it takes at least 20 working days (4 full weeks) to receive an ATAS certificate, but there can be delays so it is important that you apply as soon as possible.
You should aim to apply for your ATAS certificate at least 3 months before you intend to apply for your visa. ATAS certificates are valid for 6 months. They must be used in a visa application in this timeframe.
Processing times will increase between April and September, and this means it could take 30 working days or more to receive your certificate.
How to apply for your ATAS certificate
To apply for an ATAS certificate, you need to complete and submit an online application form on the ATAS website.
You do not need to pay for the ATAS application.
You should read our guidance for the application process before you start your ATAS application. Further guidance is also available on the UK government website.
Our guidance on the application process
Delays in the ATAS application process
If you have been waiting more than 12 weeks, then contact us.
We can ask for an update about your ATAS application.
If your ATAS application is refused
If your ATAS application is refused, then contact us.
You will need to provide:
your reference number
the date of your application
Once you have received your ATAS certificate and you have your CAS number, then you can start the visa application process.