Student Immigration Service

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

You may need Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance for selected science and technology programmes, and this will depend on your nationality. Your offer letter will say if you need an ATAS certificate for your programme.

What is ATAS

ATAS is one way the UK government prevents the spread of knowledge and skills used to develop weapons of mass destruction and associated technology.

You will need to submit the ATAS clearance certificate with your visa application. 

Do I need an ATAS certificate? 

Selected science and technology programmes require you to have an ATAS certificate. Details can be found in your offer letter.  

It is your responsibility to check if you require ATAS clearance. 

The following countries are exempt from ATAS. If you are a national of one of these countries, then you do not need an ATAS certificate.

  • Australia 

  • Canada 

  • Iceland 

  • Japan 

  • Lichtenstein 

  • New Zealand 

  • Norway 

  • Republic of Korea 

  • Singapore 

  • Switzerland 

  • United States of America 

  • any EU country 

If your country is not listed 

If you are not a national of an exempt country, you will need to apply for an ATAS certificate to study certain science and technology programmes. 

The CAH3 code 

Selected science and technology programmes will have a specific code and this code means you may need an ATAS certificate, depending on your nationality.  

You can find this CAH3 code in your offer letter from the University.  

Find the list of programmes that have a CAH3 code on the UKVI site 

Continuing students 

If you started your programme before 2019 and you need a new ATAS certificate because of a change in your circumstances, then you will need to contact your school for a new CAH3 code.

Next step

How to apply for your ATAS certificate