Student Immigration Service

Hong Kong BNO visa

Find out if you would be eligible for a Hong Kong BNO visa for British nationals (overseas).

What is the Hong Kong BNO visa? 

The BNO visa is a bespoke immigration route to enable British national overseas (BN(O)) from Hong Kong, and their immediate family members, to live, work and study in the UK.  BNO visa holders cannot usually access public funds. 

UKVI guidance on access to public funds 

Eligibility for the BNO visa 

You can apply for a BNO visa if you are:  

  • a British national (overseas) 

  • 18 or older 

Your permanent home must be: 

  • in Hong Kong, if you are applying from outside the UK 

  • in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Hong Kong, if you are applying in the UK 

If your spouse or partner and children under the age of 18 normally live with you, they can apply for visas as your dependants. 

The Student Immigration Service is not able to provide immigration advice on this route. 

Find out more 

UK government website: British National (Overseas) visa 

Studying on a BNO visa 

If you have an immigration permission under this route, you are permitted to study. 

However, if you are studying a subject that requires Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance, you will need to apply for an ATAS certificate. 

Find out if you need an ATAS certificate