Student Administration

Information for those not attending a ceremony

The information on this page is provided for those graduating at a ceremony in Winter 2021.

When is my graduation?

View the winter 2021 graduation dates.

Do I have to register if I don’t want to attend my graduation ceremony?

You do not have to register to attend the graduation ceremony, but you must let us know the address your degree certificate should be sent to. You can also tell us if you would like to attend a ceremony in the future and if you would like to participate in the virtual graduation celebration this winter.

Confirm your address (secured)

If you change your mind and decide that you do want to attend the graduation ceremony, you must complete the online form before the registration deadline, which is at noon on Monday 8th November.

Can I defer my graduation?

We understand that it may not be possible for you or your guests to travel to Edinburgh at this time. If you are not able to attend, you will be able to attend a future ceremony. The details of when the future ceremonies will take place will be confirmed at a later date. 

If you would like to attend a ceremony in the future you must let us know this when providing the address your degree certificate should be sent to. If you do not conifrm this when providing your address, you will not be invited back in the future.

Virtual graduation celebrations

Virtual celebrations will be held for graduating students who are unable to attend an in person ceremony. The virtual celebrations are being planned and are expected to take place in late December or January. If you would like to take part, please confirm this when providing the address your degree certificate should be sent to.

To learn more about the virtual celebrations, view the virtual celebrations from summer 2021.

Do I have to pay a fee to graduate?

No - there are no graduation fees at the University of Edinburgh.

Will my name appear in the graduation programme?

No - only those who attend their ceremony have their name published in the graduation programme.

Will my name appear in the newspaper?

For those graduands who are attending their ceremony, it is customary for the University to provide graduates’ details (name and degree awarded) to the Scotsman for publication on the day of graduation. 

If you are not attending a ceremony and want your name published in the Scotsman, you should email us from your student email account, by 1 November 2021 to confirm this.  Please include your UUN in the email.


“Class of the year” merchandise.

If you are not attending your graduation ceremony, but you do want your name provided to a third party for inclusion on “Class of the Year” merchandise, you should email us from your student email account, by 1 November 2021 and include your UUN.


What happens if I have outstanding debt?

Students who owe any debt to the University (this may be for rent, fines, or any other charges) must pay the outstanding debt before they graduate. Those who have outstanding tuition fees 21 days prior to the day of the graduation should contact the appropriate department to take advice on how to clear their debt.

How can I correct or update the name that will appear on my degree certificate?

For any official name change, such as Forenames and Surname (Family Name) please send your request by emailing us from your student email account to

For a change to your surname, enclose a copy of a form of official identification with your former name with your application, for example a driver's licence or a copy of the relevant pages of your passport.

In addition, your application should be accompanied by either a copy of a marriage or divorce certificate, or a Deed Poll certificate. Scanned copies of supporting documentation are acceptable.

All requests and supporting documentation must be received no later than 1 November 2021.

Current students who notify us of a change of name after they have registered their intention to graduate should be aware that it may not always be possible to graduate using their new name(s). Confirm by emailing the Student Information Point  at

Once you have graduated it is not possible to retrospectively change the name held on your record or produce a degree certificate and other documentation with a new name, unless a name change is covered by the Trans Equality Policy of the University.

When will I be sent my degree certificate?

We will send your degree certificate to the address you provide: confirm your address. You must proivide your address by 1 December 2021.

Degree certificates will be sent in December, following the completion of the graduation ceremonies.

Depending on the country of residence, students who live outwith the UK/EU may have their degree sent via DHL. 

If your address is provided after 1 December, your degree certificate will be posted in 2022.

When will I be sent my Transcript?

Your transcript is contained within a document referred to as a HEAR (Higher Education Achievement Record), which is available from your student record. We do not mail HEAR transcripts as a matter of course. f the electronic document does not meet your needs, kindly place a transcript order.

Whom should I contact if I have a query?