Employ.ed for PhDs programme
The Careers Service and Student Experience Project have been working together to offer work experience projects to PhD students at the University.
One of the aims outlined in the University’s Strategic Plan (2012-2016) is to provide a larger range of paid on campus employment opportunities for PhD students to strengthen their transferable skillset, the Careers Service has launched the Employ.ed for PhDs programme focussing on part-time internships for PhD students on campus.
More information is available on our website.
The programme is open to any School or department at the University who feel they have a suitable project or projects they would like completed by one of our PhD students. The internships should be:
- Project based;
- Fixed-term contracts over a 4 to 12 month period (they can take place at any time of year);
- Based on 6 hours per week (the University recommends that PhD students, and in line with major funding bodies, do not work more than 6 hours per week);
- The Careers Service have pre-approval from HR that any intern, on an Employ.ed for PhD internship, will be paid at a grade 5 entry point (currently £11.72 per hour).
Previous internships have included:
- Film and Media PhD Intern – responsibility for developing short talking head films;
- Healthy Universities Research PhD Intern – devising a questionnaire to be sent to all students, analysing the results and providing recommendations;
- Induction Online Resources PhD Intern – researching best practice to enhance the online presence for some key projects;
- Community Engagement PhD Intern – organising and delivering trainings, arranging events and evaluating the administration of the project;
- Distance Education PhD Intern – providing support to a major Senate Task Group;
- Applicant Experience PhD Intern – planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating the impact of three pilot projects to develop tools to better communicate the University of Edinburgh’s selection requirements;
- Careers Service PhD Intern - to support the work of Careers Service staff to develop resources , plan and deliver events, and conduct research and analysis of projects and initiatives to evaluate effectiveness.
Managers who are interested in hosting PhD intern(s), should contact Sigrid Fischer either via email or phone 0131 651 5119.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require more detail about the programme or would like to meet to discuss further.