Delivering an outstanding student experience
Delivering an outstanding student experience is one of the key themes in the University's Strategic Plan 2012-16.
We aim to create the opportunities for our students to have an exceptional and distinctive experience which prepares them for life beyond their studies and which is the beginning of a positive lifelong relationship with the University.
- To meet our aim we are:
- combining our recognised teaching excellence with an outstanding student experience both on-campus and online
- revitalising our academic and pastoral support framework
- fostering in our students and alumni a real sense of belonging to a community of learners
- taking a cohesive, inclusive and individualised approach to enhancing our student experience that encompasses all subjects, all modes of learning, all student services, and all parts of our estate
- promoting student health, wellbeing and safety
- equipping our graduates with the expertise and graduate attributes they need to achieve their full potential within the global community.
How will we achieve this?
- Ensure staff have the skills and knowledge to respond effectively to the range of our students' circumstances, experience, expectations and aptitudes.
- Raise students' awareness and take-up of curricular and co-curricular opportunities, such as studying abroad, learning a language or fulfilling student ambassador roles, and expanding provision of these opportunities.
- Work in partnership with EUSA, and in other ways, to develop student peer support.
- Promote and recognise students' participation in co- and extra-curricular activities which can contribute towards achievement of the Edinburgh Award, including student representation roles, work experience and helping with a peer-assisted learning scheme.
- Provide high-quality and well placed learning and social spaces that support group and individual learning and form stimulating foci for the life of our academic community.
- Provide inclusive and extensive recreational and sports facilities and supporting our student societies and sports clubs.
- Take action in response to internal and external student feedback.
- Broker strategic partnerships between academics, industry, specialists and other institutions to enhance the development of graduate attributes in all students.
- Improve connectivity and liaison between Schools, Colleges and University-wide student support services, to better recognise and respond to the needs and expectations of our students, prospective students and graduates.
- Create lifelong links with alumni, and between the University and the wider Edinburgh community, which are mutually beneficial and which bring richness to our student experience.