Each year Edinburgh University Women's Hockey Club selects 18 players to be part of the Team Performance Programme.
- Video: Performance Sport at The University of Edinburgh
- Discover the world-class Performance Sport Programmes at the University of Edinburgh.
One of the most highly regarded of its kind in the UK, the University of Edinburgh Performance Sport Programme enables athletes to achieve a world-class degree and perform to the best of their ability. The University of Edinburgh Women's Hockey Programme prides itself on developing players with potential and a positive attitude into performance athletes. In return for your dedication and hard work, we will offer you world-class training facilities and support to allow you to be the best you can be.
- 1 Head of Performance Coach
- Full-time Strength & Conditioning support
- Academic support
- Performance lifestyle support
- Nutritional advice
- Mental skills training and assistance
- Access to the world-renowned FASIC Sport & Exercise Medicine Clinic
I chose to study at Edinburgh as it allowed me to continue to pursue my sporting ambitions whilst studying at a top university. The University and the performance programme have provided me with continued support so I can represent my country alongside completing my degree.
Our 1XI play in the Scottish Premiership league, the highest league in Scotland and they compete in the BUCS system playing in the National Premier League.
A selection of our recent successes includes:
- Eurohockey Club Challenge II Winners - 2017, 2022
- Eurohockey Club Challenge I Winners - 2017, 2018
- European Championship 2018 & Promotion to Eurohockey Club Trophy 2019
- Scottish Premiership Champions 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019
- Scottish Cup Champions 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019
- The Grand Play Offs Winners 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018
- BUCS Top 4 Finishers 2018 and 2019
We have an exceptional record of developing International players and have had representation at the last 3 Commonwealth Games and current students/ alumni having played internationally.
- 8 players and 3 alumni involved in the Senior Scotland team with 4 playing at the 2022 Commonwealth games.
- 3 players involved in the Great Britain Elite Development Programme
- 1 alumnus in the GB senior squad who won a bronze medal at Tokyo 2021, and 1 alumnus who represented Ireland at Tokyo 2021
Edinburgh mixes architectural beauty and history with a lively, fun environment and has regularly been voted as one of the most desirable places to live in the world. As part of our Performance Programme, you will develop your athletic and academic skills in tandem, competing for one of the United Kingdom’s best sporting higher education institutions and studying at a university that is consistently ranked in the top 50 in the world:
- Over 650 degree programmes
- Flexible study
- Ranked 10th in the UK for graduate employability by the Times Higher Education, Global Employability Ranking 2018
Head of Performance Hockey (women's) - Sam Judge
Sam Judge is Head of Women's Performance Hockey. She has competed in three Commonwealth games, one World Cup and five European Championships. She has won the 14 Scottish national league titles as a player and five as Coach, alongside 13 Scottish Cups.
Sam was Assistant Coach with the Scotland Senior Women’s team 2017/18, coaching at the World League 2, European Championships and the 2018 Commonwealth Games in the Gold Coast. Sam has also obtained a Level 2 UKCC qualification.
We have access to an Olympic Grade, water based pitch, where our sessions take place, located at Peffermill Playing Fields.
Each week there are two team training sessions (additional individual sessions on request) and two strength and conditioning sessions, lead by trained S&C coaches. We also have access to our medical clinic at the University for the selected Performance Players within the Women's Hockey Programme.
We offer a number of named scholarships available through the application process.
Eric Liddell High Performance Scholarships: Created in memory of one of the University’s sporting greats to help our most talented student athletes attain their sporting ambitions.
The University of Edinburgh Elite Athlete Scholarship Fund: Awarded to support talented student athletes with the purpose of enhancing their dual career (academic and sporting) ambitions and positioning the University as the UK’s foremost Higher Education Institution for performance sport.
Further information about sport specific scholarships
The University of Edinburgh is a UK Anti-Doping accredited institution. We are fully committed to clean sport principles and educating all of our athletes in applying these principles correctly. Please feel free to read through our full Clean Sport Policy.
Get in touch
We are always looking for ambitious, academic athletes to realise their potential with us. Below you will find information on Sport & Exercise, funding, scholarships and our Elite Athlete Policy. Our aim is to train, develop and retain some of the finest hockey talent in the country. We look forward to welcoming the next generation of hockey players to our Performance Programme and hope to hear from you soon.