The fencing programme is a balance between sport-specific strength & conditioning and fencing specific training.
- Video: Performance Sport at The University of Edinburgh
- Discover the world-class Performance Sport Programmes at the University of Edinburgh.
One of the most highly regarded of its kind in the UK, the University of Edinburgh Performance Sport Programme enables athletes to achieve a world-class degree and perform to the best of their ability. The University of Edinburgh Fencing Programme prides itself on developing players with potential and a positive attitude into performance athletes. The programme is aimed at serious athletes who compete on an international level. In return for your dedication and hard work, we will offer you world-class training facilities and support to allow you to be the best you can be:
- Commonwealth Gold Medal winning Head Coach
- Full-time Strength & Conditioning support
- Academic support
- Performance lifestyle support
- Nutritional advice
- Mental skills training and assistance
- Access to the world-renowned FASIC Sport & Exercise Medicine Clinic
When I discovered that Edinburgh University had an elite women's fencing team I knew it was the right place to go. We have the support we need to excel at our sport, and one of the things I love the most is the Performance Gym, where we get tailored training plans.
- BUCS Championship Winners 5 years running
- BUCS Women's Foil Individual Winner for the last 7 years running, with several all-Edinburgh University finals
- Gold and Bronze individual medals at the 2018 Commonwealth Individuals
- Team Gold for Scotland with 3 out of the 5 athletes from Edinburgh University
- All-Edinburgh final at the Scottish Open Women's Foil
- Wins at both the Birmingham International and Australian Open
We currently have fencers representing Great Britain, Brazil and India in Senior and Junior World Cups.
Edinburgh mixes architectural beauty and history with a lively, fun environment and has regularly been voted as one of the most desirable places to live in the world. As part of our Performance Programme, you will develop your athletic and academic skills in tandem, competing for one of the United Kingdom’s best sporting higher education institutions and studying at a university that is consistently ranked in the top 50 in the world:
- Over 650 degree programmes
- Flexible study
- Ranked 10th in the UK for graduate employability by the Times Higher Education, Global Employability Ranking 2018
Head of Performance Fencing, Don McKenzie.
Don has been Head of Performance Fencing at Edinburgh University since 2013. During his time the fencing programme has produced many extremely successful athletes and has a wealth of knowledge which hugely contributes to the programme.
- Current member of British Fencing’s Athlete Development Programme staff
- Full Diploma in International Coaching
- Former Performance Manager for the National Governing Body
- Edinburgh Fencing Club. Winners of the British Women's Foil Championships 2018, 2017 and 2016
- World Ranked Fencer
- Former British Olympic Team 1988 and 1992
- Commonwealth Gold medallist and British Champion
- Gained International Masters Diploma from Budapest in 2004
Edinburgh University welcomes fencers of all standards. Performance fencers who want a top-class education without compromising their training environment will enjoy what we have to offer.
All training takes place in St. Leonard’s Land on Holyrood Road, just a few minutes from the Pleasance Sports Complex and Gym. We have a well-equipped armoury, where all club fencers can borrow equipment. You won’t need to buy any technical equipment.
We have an abundance of training opportunities for all different levels of fencers. Please get in touch to find out more information and see which sessions are suited to your ability.
We offer a number of named scholarships available through the application process.
Eric Liddell High Performance Scholarships: Created in memory of one of the University’s sporting greats to help our most talented student athletes attain their sporting ambitions.
The University of Edinburgh Elite Athlete Scholarship Fund: Awarded to support talented student athletes with the purpose of enhancing their dual career (academic and sporting) ambitions and positioning the University as the UK’s foremost Higher Education Institution for performance sport.
The University of Edinburgh is a UK Anti-Doping accredited institution. We are fully committed to clean sport principles and educating all of our athletes in applying these principles correctly. Please feel free to read through our full Clean Sport Policy.
Get in touch
We are always looking for ambitious, academic athletes to realise their potential with us. Our aim is to train, develop and retain some of the finest fencing talent in the country. We look forward to welcoming the next generation of fencers to our Performance Programme and hope to hear from you soon.
Email our Head of Performance Fencing, Don McKenzie, to start the conversation about your application.