Performance Basketball Women aims to create a women’s basketball programme to match our world class academic standings.
- Video: Performance Sport at The University of Edinburgh
- Discover the world-class Performance Sport Programmes at the University of Edinburgh.
One of the most highly regarded of its kind in the UK, the University of Edinburgh Performance Sport Programme enables athletes to achieve a world-class degree and perform to the best of their ability. Our team has a great record, winning the Scottish Cup twice, the Scottish Play-Off Championships and being ranked in the BUCS UK top three. In return for your dedication and hard work, we will offer you world-class training facilities and support to allow you to be the best you can be:
- 2 Full time Head Coaches
- Full-time Strength & Conditioning support
- Mental skills training and assistance
- Student athlete accommodation
- Academic support
- Lifestyle and nutritional advice
- Access to the world-renowned FASIC Sport & Exercise Medicine Clinic
- Detailed individualised video analysis
Being a part of the performance programme has allowed me to develop as a player and as a person. The supportive network of coaches, performance psychologists and physiotherapists has provided the advice, emotional guidance and assistance that has aided my path to attain my full potential.
The women's basketball team compete in the BUCS Premier North, the highest level of competition for university basketball in the UK.
Below is a selection of our recent successes:
- 2021-22 WBBL Semi Final Appearance
- 2021-22 BUCS Quarter Final Appearance
- 2019-20 BUCS Finalists
- 2018-19 BUCS Semi Final Appearance
- 2017-18 BUCS Semi Final Appearance
- 2016-17 BUCS Final 8 Appearance
- 2015-16 BUCS Finalists
Edinburgh mixes architectural beauty and history with a lively, fun environment and has regularly been voted as one of the most desirable places to live in the world. As part of our Performance Programme, you will develop your athletic and academic skills in tandem, competing for one of the United Kingdom’s best sporting higher education institutions and studying at a university that is consistently ranked in the top 50 in the world:
- Over 650 degree programmes
- Flexible study
- Ranked 10th in the UK for graduate employability by the Times Higher Education, Global Employability Ranking 2018
Head of Performance Basketball, Bart Sengers
Bart has been a coach at Edinburgh University since 2015. During his time he has transformed the club into a successful and ever-growing programme.
Bart is a Level 4 Basketball Trainer and has been coaching for over 25 years. Some highlights of his coaching career include:
- 2016- 2022 Scotland National Performance Coach- Senior Women
- 2016- 2022 Caledonia Pride Head Coach
- 2009-2016 Dutch National Team Head Coach
- 2 times Coach of the Year in Dutch National League
- 4 times All-Star Coach in the Dutch National League
The team currently have four team practices and three S&C sessions per week. Additionally, there are opportunities for unlimited individual or small group fundamentals and/or shooting sessions suited to your timetable. During these workouts you can access the shooting gun and all other necessary equipment needed.
Practice facilities at Pleasance Sports Complex & Gym are extremely accessible with recent refurbishment made to the flooring. We also have access to our medical clinic at the University for the selected Performance Players within the Women’s Basketball Programme.
We offer a number of named scholarships available through the application process.
Eric Liddell High Performance Scholarships: Created in memory of one of the University’s sporting greats to help our most talented student athletes attain their sporting ambitions.
The University of Edinburgh Elite Athlete Scholarship Fund: Awarded to support talented student athletes with the purpose of enhancing their dual career (academic and sporting) ambitions and positioning the University as the UK’s foremost Higher Education Institution for performance sport.
The University of Edinburgh is a UK Anti-Doping accredited institution. We are fully committed to clean sport principles and educating all of our athletes in applying these principles correctly. Please feel free to read through our full Clean Sport Policy.
Ready to shoot for the stars
We are always looking for ambitious, academic athletes to realise their potential with us. Our aim is to train, develop and retain some of the finest basketball talent in the country. We look forward to welcoming the next generation of basketball players to our Performance Programme and hope to hear from you soon.