The Orienteering Performance Programme provides a top-class training environment and support structure to the best orienteers in the UK.
One of the most highly regarded of its kind in the UK, the University of Edinburgh Performance Sport Programme enables athletes to achieve a world-class degree and perform to the best of their ability.
Further information on studying and playing sport at Edinburgh, as well as details about our Performance Programme for Orienteering.
A world-class city
Edinburgh mixes architectural beauty and history with a lively, fun environment and has regularly been voted as one of the most desirable places to live in the world. As part of our Performance Programme, you will develop your athletic and academic skills in tandem, competing for one of the United Kingdom’s best sporting higher education institutions and studying at a University that is consistently ranked in the top 50 in the world:
- Over 650 degree programmes
- Flexible study
- Ranked 10th in the UK for graduate employability by the Times Higher Education, Global Employability Ranking 2018
- An international university, with just under half of our students representing 180 nations across the world
Leading the way
The University of Edinburgh Orienteering Programme prides itself on developing talented orienteers with potential and a positive attitude into performance athletes. In return for your dedication and hard work, we will offer you world-class training facilities and support to allow you to be the best you can be:
- Professional Head Coach
- Full-time Strength & Conditioning support
- Academic support
- Performance lifestyle support
- Nutritional advice
- Mental skills training and assistance
- Access to the world-renowned FASIC Sport & Exercise Medicine Clinic
Training to be the best
We pride ourselves on being able to offer a world-class training environment here in Edinburgh. Individualised training plans are created in conjunction with the Head Coach to give each athlete the optimal programme. With such a strong training group, there is always someone to train with outside of the official team sessions. Here is an example of a typical training week:
- Monday: S&C (PM)
- Tuesday: Intervals in Holyrood Park (PM)
- Wednesday: Hill run on Arthur's Seat or FVO Night League during the winter (PM)
- Thursday: S&C (AM), technical training in Edinburgh or FWTN League during winter (PM)
- Friday: Rest
- Saturday/Sunday: Frequent training/racing weekends with EUOC, as well as SEDS and GBR Squad. We go training in Speyside, Deeside, the Moray Coast, and the Lake District. We travel as a club to the majority of Scottish O Leagues and GBR selection races.
Compete at the highest level
We train closely with the Scottish Elite Development Squad and attend all selection races for the Great Britain Team. Our orienteers also participate in the British Championships and the Scottish Orienteering League.
- BUCS Orienteering Overall Champions 2006-2013 and 2015-2019
- JK Relay Champions: Men's 2019, 2018; Women's 2019, 2014
- British Relay Champions: Men's 2017, 2016; Women's 2017, 2014
- Ranked #1 on CompassSport UK Club Rankings 2011-2019
Set your compass to Edinburgh
We are always looking for ambitious, academic athletes to realise their potential with us. Below you will find information on Sport & Exercise, funding, scholarships and our Elite Athlete Policy.