Peffermill Sports Village
The future of Peffermill Playing Fields
The University of Edinburgh has a long and proud history of promoting and supporting sport and exercise. Today, the University provides fantastic opportunities for students to get involved in sport at any level, from complete beginners to those seeking to represent their country internationally.
We also recognise our integral role as part of the sporting infrastructure of the City of Edinburgh. Our facilities across our various campuses are used by numerous sports teams and members of the public on a daily basis. At Peffermill Playing Fields alone, half of our bookings already come from outside the University.
As the University’s reputation for sport has grown, so have the expectations of the facilities we can offer. Demand for sport from our students now exceeds the current capacity, and in order to meet that growing challenge, we require new and improved indoor and outdoor facilities.
The Future at Peffermill
Peffermill Playing Fields has for decades been the University’s main outdoor sporting site. We now propose a transformation of the site to create a Sports Village. Achieving this ambition requires three integrated parts:
- A new 8,700 m2 Sports Centre, providing student, staff and community facilities including a 12 badminton court sports hall; 4-court indoor tennis hall; strength and conditioning gym; fitness gym; changing for indoor and outdoor facilities; social and conference spaces; physiotherapy and staff accommodation
- Improved outdoor facilities, including new provision for hockey, football, rugby and archery
- A new 573-bed student residence, to provide accommodation to undergraduates and postgraduates studying at the University, while providing athlete/conference accommodation during the summer months
Connections between these elements will be achieved through improved landscaping and the creation of a trim trail – a walking and running path which will encourage walking and running.
Peffermill Sports Village will help to achieve many goals for the University, and for Edinburgh as a city:
- Expanding and improving provision of indoor and outdoor sport to students, staff and the local community;
- Investing in our relationships with those from outside the University, from local football teams, to local primary schools;
- Creating a unique proposition in Edinburgh by co-locating accommodation and sporting facilities to attract local, national and international sporting events and training camps;
- Providing student accommodation for 573 students in a University-managed residence in an area of the site that is currently unused and with little potential for sport.
As a longstanding performance partner, Scottish Hockey is delighted to support the Peffermill Sports Village re-development. We believe the new hockey facility will provide a world class training and competition environment to inspire and support the development of our aspiring hockey athletes at various levels – and help Scottish hockey fulfil our ambitions to deliver successful international teams and podium athletes. I am sure the facility redevelopment will inspire many more players to get involved in hockey at all levels of participation – and further strengthen the game in Scotland.
Peffermill Sports Village is a hugely exciting development for us at the Sports Union. Not only will this project enhance our already very strong student sport offering, but also facilitate new opportunities for wider community engagement, general physical activity and wellness.
The new Peffermill Sports Village will exemplify our quest to provide premium quality widely accessible sport and physical activity opportunities so we can enhance the whole life of the University and the people and community it serves. This venture is hugely bold and exciting, and will also allow the University to consolidate existing relations with a variety of local and national sports organisations, as well as create new ones, supporting workforce development, training & matches, and major events. It will make a transformational difference to our already sector leading sport & fitness offer - we can’t wait for it to happen!
Further information on the project can be found on the Estates webpage: