As part of of National University Mental Health Day on 4 March, we're encouraging our community to keep active, keep positive, keep looking forward, to #MarchOnInMarch.
The benefits of being physically active
Making small changes to your daily life, from leaving the car at home for short journeys or getting off the bus a stop earlier, to climbing the stairs rather than taking the lift can all help to boost your mood. The evidence is clear; exercise reduces the likelihood of depression and maintains mental health as we age. The 2017 British Active Students Survey also showed that students who were active had higher wellbeing, inclusion and perceptions of attainment and employability compared to inactive students.
Throughout March, team members from across Sport & Exercise will be setting weekly challenges for themselves and providing updates on their progress on our social media channels.
The team’s challenges are open to everybody, so please do take part, or why not set your own weekly challenge? If you want to share your progress simply tag us in your update on social media and use the #MarchOnInMarch
#MarchOnInMarch Photo Competition
We’d also love to see how and where you are getting active so are launching a new photo competition. Simply send us a photo of you being active, of the view where you are being active or anything else you feel depicts how you are staying active and we’ll choose 3 winners.
The winning photos will be displayed across our facilities when we are able to reopen and each winner will also receive their choice of up to £50.00 of PlayerLayer clothing or merchandise.
Winners will be selected by a group of Sport & Exercise staff for originality, interpretation and visual impact.
Submit your photo
Email your photo with your name and a caption (max 300 characters)
Competition terms and conditions can be found below and please follow all current government guidelines when being active to protect yourself & others.
Photography Competition Terms and Conditions
- Each entrant must submit only ONE photograph with a caption of no more than 300 characters.
- Entrants must provide their full name and email address
- The competition is open to University of Edinburgh students and staff, Sport & Exercise gym members and other user groups of Sport & Exercise facilities with the exception of members of University of Edinburgh Sport & Exercise or Edinburgh University Sports Union staff and their families.
- The competition runs from 12 noon on 4 March 2021 until 12 noon on 31 March 2021. Late entries cannot be accepted.
- The prize's are as stated and there is no cash alternative. Winners will be able to choose up to £50.00 worth of Playerlayer clothing or merchandise from https://playerlayer.com. Sport & Exercise will then arrange delivery of the chosen goods to the winner.
- Photograph submissions must be the entrant’s own work and should have been taken between 4th March and 31st March following government guidelines on activity and travel.
- Entrants must accept that the image they submit to the competition may be used by The University of Edinburgh for any purpose without payment.
- Images maybe be shared with selected third parties. In most instances, wherever possible the entrant’s work will be credited.
- Your personal data is secure. It will be shared for the purposes of publishing photograph entries and crediting your image
- Obscene or inappropriate photographs will not be accepted, and organisers reserve the right to reject any photograph for any reason.
- Prior to submitting a photograph of any identifiable person, entrants must confirm that they have the consent of that person and let them know about that they are entering this competition
We are using information about you because you have given us your consent when you entered the competition. We will hold personal data you provided us with indefinitely, or until you withdraw consent - your photo entry and name will be held so that your work can be published and credited in line with the terms and conditions of entering the competition.