Member, customer and user update on Covid-19
Information for Sport & Exercise service users in relation to the Coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak.
Update Tuesday 5 May
IMPORTANT UPDATE – ALL USER ACTIVITY AT SPORT & EXERCISE FACILITIES IS SUSPENSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
The University of Edinburgh has been closely monitoring the Coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak and liaising with government and NHS agencies to get their latest advice on public health guidance. Our priority is the health and wellbeing of our members, guests, visitors and staff.
Due to the fast and ever changing landscape and following the recent government and public health guidance surrounding the measures being put in place to contain the spread of Covid-19 all user activity at Sport & Exercise facilities is suspended until further notice. We know that suspending activity will have a dramatic impact on our members and have not made this decision lightly.
The application process for the Individual Performance Programme for 2020/21 will open as planned on Monday 23 March.
FAQ's and General Information
All our user activity will remain suspended until further notice. We will continue to update and follow the latest gudience from government and public health authorities and will take instruction from the University on when to reopen.
In accordance with our commitments to fairness and transparency, we will be providing a refund on the remaining balance of student memberships that were live at the time of our enforced suspension of activity on Wednesday 18 March.
Refund Values by Membership Package
We recognise that there was a level of uncertainty and unease in the days before our enforced suspension so we have calculated the refund values from Monday 9 March. Accordingly, we will be calculating refunds from that point in time based on the membership package held and when it was purchased, as shown below:
|Membership Type||Refund Value|
|Full Gym, Class, Swim purchased during Semester 1||£60.00|
|Full Gym, Class, Swim, Climb purchased during Semester 1||£84.00|
|Full Gym, Class, Swim purchased during Semester 2||£75.00|
|Full Gym, Class, Swim, Climb purchased during Semester 2||£101.00|
|Semester 2 Gym, Class, Swim||£41.00|
|Semester 2 Gym, Class, Swim, Climb||£61.00|
As you will appreciate, the processing of refunds is a complex matter, due to both the high volume of transactions and the different methods of payments used. This is exacerbated by our current remote working arrangements.
Unfortunately, at this stage, we are unable to provide detailed information regarding the method of refund or refund payment dates, but we will provide an update when we know more information. Please be assured that we will advance refunds as quickly as we can.
If the current restrictions are relaxed and we are permitted to re-open our sport and fitness services over the next few months, student members will still be able to access our facilities using their 2019/20 membership.
For Full and Off-Peak Plus categories, this offer will be valid until 31 July 2020 and for Semester 2 memberships until 25 May 2020. From 1 August, a new membership for the 2020/21 academic year will be required.
Thank you again for your patience during this unsettling time.
Thank you for your patience during this unprecedented period of uncertainty. We have been working hard behind the scenes to find the most effective solution to ensure that no member misses out due to our suspension of user activity in line with Government measures to contain the spread of Covid-19.
Non-student members who have an active Direct Debit membership.
The next DD payment that we were scheduled to collect was on 1 April 2020. This payment, and any further payments, will not be collected until we reopen. Your membership expiry date will be amended and any lost time (calculated from Monday 9 March) will be added. No action is required from you.
Any members who are in their first year of a DD membership (and therefore paid a 3 month deposit covering month 1, 11 and 12 of their membership) and paid their final instalment in January, February or March will have their membership extended when we reopen to cover any lost time (calculated from Monday 9 March) will be added. No action is required from you and you do not need to cancel you Direct Debit mandate.
Non-student members who have paid upfront for their membership.
We will freeze all memberships and members will receive the equivalent time they have lost when we reopen. We will calculate this time lost from Monday 9 March. Your membership expiry date will be amended and no action is required from you.
If you do need to get in contact please email firstname.lastname@example.org . We are currently receiving a large number of enquiries and will endeavour to get back to everyone as soon as possible. We hope to address the majority of questions through these FAQ's which will be updated as more information is made available. If your request is refund related please await further information that we will communicate to all members as soon as possible.
Thank you for your patience and continued support.
- We encourage members to keep physically active, whilst following government advice on social distancing.
- We have launched a new area on the website for advice and guidence on how to keep active HERE
- We are also sharing regular updates on personal health and wellbeing through our social media channels.
Events, bookings and activity
- Including Pleasance Boot Camp, Easter Bush Boot Camp, Weightlifting, Krav Maga, Yoga, Pilates, Climbing Movement, Physical Training for Climbers and Yoga for Climbing
- All gym and climbing workshops are cancelled. We will contact all bookers directly with next steps as soon as possible
- Participants already booked for our May, June and July courses will be contacted directly by a member of the team as soon as possible
- Participants already booked in for our May course will be contacted directly by a member of the team as soon as possible
- Including Support for Physical Activity and the Learn to Run Programme
- All sessions are cancelled. We will contact all bookers directly with next steps as soon as possible
- All existing bookings from Friday 20 March are cancelled. Bookers will be contacted directly by a member of the team with the next steps as soon as possible.
FASIC is currently closed for face-to-face consultations however we continue to be available for physiotherapy and medical support, and are now offering telephone or video consultations, following a free triage / screening appointment.
- Including April sessions of Pilates for Back Health, Pilates for Runners and Introduction to Sport Massage
- All upcoming courses are cancelled. All participants already booked will be contacted directly by a member of the team as soon as possible
- Participants already booked in for Yoga Retreats will be contacted directly by a member of the team as soon as possible
- All staff have been contacted directly; please check your University email.
- All instructors and PTs will be contacted by a member of the team as soon as possible
- All athletes will be contacted by their coach or the Performance Sport support team as soon as possible. Please do not attend scheduled sessions.
- All training at Sport & Exercise facilities is cancelled until further notice. Please do not attend scheduled sessions.
- Sports Union Club members will be contacted by their committee or the Sports Union Team as soon as possible
We are currently receiving a large number of enquiries and will endeavour to get back to everyone as soon as possible.
More advice and support is available on the University website