Gym memberships 2020/21
We've made some changes to our gym membership options, offering more flexible choices for students and a simpler structure for our staff and community users. We have also made them only available online to help us comply with social distancing guidance and ensure the health and safety of both our members and our team.
Update 20 December 2020 - Temporary suspension of new memberships
Following the Scottish Government announcement on Saturday 19 December that mainland Scotland will move into Tier 4 of the Coronavirus Framework from Saturday 26 December we have temporarily suspended new membership registration until we have confirmation on when we will be able to reopen.
Prioritising existing and University of Edinburgh members
To help manage our capacity, follow government social distancing guidelines and ensure a safe environment for everybody, we are prioritising memberships for University of Edinburgh students and staff as well as our existing members. This means , at this time, we are not able to accept any new community membership applications and are not able to offer a pay- as- you- go option.
Climbing now a bookable activity
We won’t be offering a membership that includes climbing at the moment. This is because we have had to significantly reduce capacity at the climbing wall and in bouldering to comply with social distancing guidance. Instead, it will become a bookable activity (like squash or court sports) with gym members being able to book an hour slot at the wall for only £2 a climb.
Memberships types and prices
Student Membership Options
Our student memberships offer acess to the Pleasance Gym and exercise classes*, the Easter Bush Gym and exercise classes* and the swimming pool at St Leonard's Land.
30-day membership - £15.00
- Access for 30 days from purchase
- Does not include Sport Union Club Facility use
- Semester 2 membership - £55.00
- Access until 23 May 2021
- Semester 2 membership also includes Sport Union Club facility use in Semester 2.
Sport club members
Instead of charging Edinburgh University sports clubs for training or fixture time at our facilities, we ask all members of the Sports Union clubs who play or train with us to purchase a Sport & Exercise Semester membership.
University of Edinburgh sports club coaches should visit this link for more info around their memberships: https://www.eusu.ed.ac.uk/cva/coaches_corner/coaches/
BUCS universal gym memberships scheme
Unfortunately due to our current capacity restrictions and the withdrawal of our full membership option we are not able to participate in the BUCS universal gym membership scheme for 2020-2021.
*Exercise classes are currently suspended due to Government guidelines
Unfortunately, students from other universities who did not hold a membership with us in 19/20 will not be able to join at present. In order to manage our capacity, follow government social distancing guidelines and ensure a safe environment for everybody, we will be prioritising the University of Edinburgh students and staff.
Register your interest
- If you would like to register your interest for when we do start accepting new 'community access' memberships, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students from other universities who had a membership with us in 2019/20 will be able to renew their membership at our new 'community access' rate. Our student rate will be reserved for those studying at the University of Edinburgh.
Choose a 30-day or 12-month membership
We have simplified our staff membership options which are open to all University of Edinburgh staff, no matter if you are a current member or not.
- £19 for a 30-day staff membership - this includes access to the Pleasance Gym and exercise classes, the Easter Bush Gym and exercise classes and the swimming pool at St Leonard's Land.
- £228 for a 12-month staff membership - this includes access to the Pleasance Gym and exercise classes, the Easter Bush Gym and exercise classes and the swimming pool at St Leonard's Land. This option helps you reserve your place (in case we need to cap our capacity to comply with public health advice).
We won't be offering a 'Swim and Easter Bush only' option this year.
Choose a 30-day or 12-month membership when you renew your membership
To make choosing a membership simpler we have consolidated our previous associate/graduate, corporate, community and senior memberships in a new "Community Access" membership.
- £25 for a 30-day community access membership - this includes access to the Pleasance gym, exercise classes and the swimming pool at St Leonard's land.
- £300 for a 12-month community access membership - this includes access to the Pleasance gym, exercise classes and the swimming pool at St Leonard's land. This option helps you reserve your place (in case we need to cap our capacity to comply with public health advice).
Extension of current membership
All existing memberships will be extended for the time that was missed. We are currently reviewing our senior membership category and offering so will update this section as soon as the details are available.
Hold on new memberships
We will not be able to accept any new community access memberships at this time.
Register your interest
If you would like to register your interest for when we do start accepting new 'community access' memberships, please email email@example.com.
Opening dates and our new guidelines
You can find out all the ways we are getting ready to play, train and perform.
Changes to terms and conditions
These changes also mean some small amends to our membership terms and conditions.