The University welcomes applicants with high school qualifications from the USA.
Applicants are expected to complete the US High School Diploma in addition to the following minimum requirements:
Degree programmes in the Schools of Chemistry, Engineering, Informatics, Mathematics and Physics:
- SAT Reasoning Test with 1290 (650 minimum in Evidence-Based Reading and Writing, and 620 minimum in Math) OR ACT Composite score of 27 PLUS AP Calculus at 4 and one further AP at 4 or SAT Subject Test* at 650 including any other required subjects, OR
- three APs at 4 to include Calculus and any other required subjects, OR
- AP Calculus at 4 plus two SAT subject tests* with a minimum of 650 including any other required subjects.
Degree programmes in the Schools of Biological Sciences and Geosciences:
- SAT Reasoning Test with 1290 (650 minimum in Evidence-Based Reading and Writing, and 620 minimum in Math) OR ACT score of 27 or above PLUS at least two APs at 4 including required subjects, OR
- three SAT Subject Tests* with a minimum of 650 including required subjects, OR
- three APs at 4 including required subjects.
We can also consider applicants with successful completion of one year of University in the USA with a GPA of 3.25 (subject requirements must be met).
Please note that we cannot accept two different tests in the same subject (for example an AP in Chemistry and an SAT subject test in Chemistry cannot both be used to meet our entry requirements).
*We are aware that SAT subject tests are no longer available to applicants based in the USA, if you had planned to take SAT subject tests to meet our entry requirements then please refer to the section below "admissions test".
Subject Specific Requirements
Many degree programmes in Science and Engineering have subject specfic entry requirements. In order for your application to be considered you must meet these subject requirements.
The subject requirements for each degree programme are outlined in the Degree Finder. If you have not already done so please refer the section "required subjects" in the section "entry requirements" for the programme you are interested in.
For applicants who are not able to take all of the standardised tests required to meet our entry requirements we may be able to offer our own admissions test(s). It is likely that we won't be able to consider applicants through this route for programmes where entry is highly competitive, for example programmes in our School of Informatics. We will consider your performance in these tests, along with your High School GPA, and the grades you achieved in your junior and senior years in honours, or AP preparation level classes. If you have been, or will be, unable to take the tests outlined above please get in touch with us so that we can advise you. Please email us at email@example.com quoting your full name, your UCAS ID and the programme you have applied for.