English Language Requirements
To enter the University, you must meet both our academic and English language requirements.
We accept a range of qualifications including a number of high school level English language qualifications, where this is considered to meet CEFR level B2 in all four skills.
The following list contains the English language qualifications we accept and the minimum level required.
Your English language certificate must be no more than two years old at the beginning of your degree course.
Offer holders must submit an accepted English language qualification certificate by 31st July.
If you have taken or plan to take an English language test that does not appear on our list, please contact the College Admissions Office to check if we will accept it.
For SQA and GCSE students, unless a higher level is specified in the stated entry requirements, a pass is required in English at the following grades or higher.
Acceptable English language qualifications:
• IELTS Academic 6.5 overall with 5.5 in each component (IELTS or IELTS for UKVI)
• TOEFL IBT (including Special Home Edition) 92 or above with 20 in each section (Please note we do not accept MyBest/Superscore results)
• Pearson Test of English (Academic): Total 61 with at least 51 in each "Communicative Skills" section
• SQA Higher ESOL/English Grade C
• SQA National 5 ESOL/English Grade C
• Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE) 176 with 162 in each component/Grade A
• Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE) 176 with 162 in each component/Grade C
• GCSE English Language Grade C / Grade 4 or above (GCSE English Literature is not accepted)
• IGCSE English (First/Second language) Grade C
• IGCSE/GCSE English Level 2 Certificate Grade C (Level 1 certificate not accepted)
• AS or A Level English; English Language; English Language and Literature; and English Literature at grade C.
• Cambridge Pre-U Literature in English (Principal) at grade M3
• International Baccalaureate English at Standard Level 5
• Trinity ISE: ISE II with a distinction in all four components
• Gatehouse ESOL International (Interactive Test of English) Level 2 or Level 3 (not Level 1)
• University of Glasgow Pre-Sessional English (PSE) programme
Please contact the Admissions Office to confirm if your chosen pre-sessional course would be accepted for entry.
Please note that we do not accept the following English qualification:
- IELTS Life Skills
• High School Diploma - Grade C in Grade 10 English
• Reifezeugnis - Grade Gut or better
• Canadian Secondary/High School Diploma grade 12 - English Language Arts/English at 70%
• GCE O Level (Cameroonian O Levels) Grade C English
• Certificate of Nile International Secondary Education (CNISE) Level 1 English at Grade C
• Ylioppilastutkintodistus - Grade M in English language
• French Baccalaureat
• Option International du Baccalaureat (OIB) (British version), English Language and Literature at grade 12
• Abitur - Grade 12 in English
• HKDSE - Core English at Level 4 overall and Level 4 in each component
• Grade XII SSC/ISC/HSC - 75% at Grade XII English
• Irish Leaving Certificate - Grade B/Higher Merit in Junior Certificate or Grade C in Higher Ordinary level
• Bagrut - Grade 7 in English language
• SPM - GCE O Level English Language (syllabus 1119) at Grade C
• VWO - Grade 7 in English language
• English (Literacy) at level 2, to include 10 literacy credits at Level 2 or above made up of 5 credits in reading and 5 credits in writing
• Vitnemal - English Language at Grade 5
• Matura - 70% in Advanced Level English Language
• Rwandan GCE O Level ( Rwandan O Levels) Grade C English
• Integrated Programme / NUS High School Diploma - Secondary 4 English Language or Language Arts - Grade C
• Singapore-Cambridge GCE O Level - Grade C
• Singapore H1, H2, H3 English in Literature and H2 Language and Linguistics
• National Senior Certificate - Grade 4 in English as Home/First Language
• Fullständigt Slutbetyg från Gymnasieskolan - Grade VG in English
Uganda Certificate of Education Grade 2 English
United States of America
• SAT - Minimum 600 in each component of the SAT Reasoning Test**
• ACT - ACT score of 27**
• AP English Language and Composition - Grade 3
• AP English Literature and Composition - Grade 3
• CSEC - Grade 3 in English Language
• Zimbabwe GCE O Level (Zimbabwean O Levels) Grade C English
**Non-nationals will be asked for a suitable IELTS, TOEFL or PTE test score.