College of Science & Engineering

Visiting students

How to apply to be a visiting international student.

  • Study Abroad
  • International Exchange

  • Erasmus Exchange

Unfortunately EU students can only apply to the University of Edinburgh if there is an appropriate Erasmus agreement in place.

Exchange Nomination process

If you are an exchange student, at this point you should contact your home university and enquire about the exchange nomination process. If you are nominated successfully, you will receive an invitation to apply to us online.

If you are applying to us independently as a Study Abroad student, you do not need to worry about this step - you can apply online.

When can I study at Edinburgh?

You can study at Edinburgh for the full academic year or either the autumn (fall) or spring semester.

  • Full Academic Year: September – May
  • Semester One: September – December
  • Semester two: January - May

Your time at Edinburgh may count towards your final degree at your home institution.

At the end of your period of study in Edinburgh, you will receive a transcript and this will be translated into courses taken and grades achieved.

For full details of courses available and how to apply, please see the University-wide information on study abroad.

Study abroad

Entry requirements

  • A good academic record (US students should have achieved a minimum GPA of 3.0 or over on 4.0 point scale)
  • A good academic reference from your home institution

English Language requirements

You will need a good level of English. If you are a non-native speaker, you should meet the standard requirements for all international undergraduate students.

Undergraduate English requirements

What can I study?

Edinburgh offers visiting students a range of courses in subject areas from 19 different schools. Applicants should only apply for courses which they are qualified.

If you are unsure about the prerequisites, please contact us for advice.

Some subject areas are particularly popular, which means entry can be very competitive. We try to accommodate as many students as possible.

You can browse the courses that are available for you at the University of Edinburgh here:

Course finder

How do I apply?

Step-by-step guide

STEP ONE: You must obtain permission from your university to apply to Edinburgh under the international exchange programme.

Before you can apply to Edinburgh as an Erasmus student, you must be nominated by your home university. Please check with your study abroad advisor or Erasmus Co-ordinator at your home university to see if Edinburgh has an agreement in your subject area.

STEP TWO: apply online through the Edinburgh Global website:

When you apply you will create an online account with us. You will get a username and a password, which will allow you to track your application through its various stages.

STEP THREE: Ensure that you have uploaded the required documents. Along with your application, you will need to upload copies of your supporting information including an official transcript, an academic reference and a personal statement (of about 500 words).

Your personal statement should explain why you wish to study at the University of Edinburgh and provide any additional information (interest in and suitability for chosen courses, extra-curricular activities, etc) which you feel may support your application.

Please note: If you are from a Universitas 21 (U21) university or if you are applying as an Erasmus student then you do not need to submit an academic reference.  The University reserves the right to request original documentation at any time during the admissions process.

STEP FOUR: Track your application.  Your online account can be used to track the progress of your application. Details about your application, including any offer of admission, will be available through your online account.

Tuition fees

International tuition fees

Course dates

Academic year September - May   Semester one (Fall) September - December   Semester two (spring) January - May  


We guarantee university accommodation for all international and all full-year Erasmus students.

Once you have an offer to study at Edinburgh, you should make your online application for your university accommodation.

Accommodation application


We will issue your transcript when you complete your studies.

Transcripts are normally issued about eight weeks after the last day of the semester (for Semester One students) or the academic year (for Semester Two and Full Year students).

If you wish to request additional copies, you can place an order via the form located at:

Academic Transcript

Staying at Edinburgh

If you would like to complete your degree at Edinburgh contact your Personal Tutor who will be happy to discuss your options.


Visiting Student Office

  • College of Science and Engineering
  • The University of Edinburgh

Contact details



Murchison House
Max Born Crescent
The King's Buildings

Post Code