IPCC panel discussion being hosted by the University
The University is to host a panel discussion with members of the world’s leading group of climate scientists on Wednesday 3 April 2019.
The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) are meeting in Edinburgh next month as part of their work on reducing the rate of climate change.
To coincide, the IPCC has teamed up with ClimateXChange – Scotland’s centre of expertise on climate change, based at the University’s Edinburgh Centre for Carbon Innovation (ECCI) – to run a public panel discussion on ‘Climate Action in Small Countries and Regions’.
Co-chaired by Professor Dave Reay from the School of GeoSciences, the event will feature experts at the forefront of global efforts to tackle climate change at the local and national level.
Panel of experts
The panel is made up of:
- Leon Clarke, Leader, Integrated Human Earth Systems Science program, University of Maryland/Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), “Climate action in US states and cities”
- Minal Pathak, Senior Scientist, IPCC WG III Technical Support Unit, University of Ahmedabad, “Climate action in Gujurat”
- Shuaib Lwasa, Associate Professor, Makerere University/World Resource Institute, “Climate action in Kampala”
- Manfred Fischdick, Vice President, Wuppertal Institute for Climate, Environment and Energy, “Climate action in North-Rhine Westphalia”
- Katherine White, Head of International, Strategy and Projects Unit, Decarbonisation Division, Scottish Government, “Climate action in Scotland and the importance of International collaboration”
- Catriona Patterson, Chair, 2050 Climate Group, "Engaging, educating and empowering future leaders to take action on climate change"
The event will also be chaired by Professor Jim Skea, co-chair of IPCC Working Group III which is looking at reducing the rate of climate change.
We are delighted to be collaborating with the IPCC on this event at a time when Scotland is developing new climate goals. There are many examples where cities, states, regions and small countries are leading the way in making a low carbon future a reality. This is an opportunity to hear about innovative and inspiring action to tackle climate change from some of those at the forefront of these efforts across the world.
Location and registration
Date: Wednesday 3 April 2019
Time: 6pm – 8pm
Venue: Lecture Theatre G.03, 50 George Square, Edinburgh
Registration for the panel discussion is currently full but you can join the waiting list to be notified if spaces become free.