Studying towards a postgraduate research degree
Students at The Roslin Institute can enrol for a PhD, MPhil or MSc by Research.
The Roslin Institute offers a high quality training environment and excellent facilities. We believe graduate students contribute a vital part of a lively and forward-looking research Institute and presently we have more than 180 research students.
All students will be registered at the School of Veterinary Studies (R(D)SVS), University of Edinburgh. Within the Institute, individual students are integrated within their supervisor’s group and department, and participate fully in journal clubs, group meetings and seminar programmes. The student is expected to complete a piece of original research, directed towards solving important, novel and open questions.
Students will study in one of the following Divisions:
- Developmental Biology
- Genetics and Genomics
- Infection and Immunity
- Clinical Sciences
- Agriculture & Food Security
What we offer
- generous consumable and travel budget
- opportunities to attend national and international meetings
- generic skills training
Applicants are required to hold at least a first or upper second class Honours degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline.
- Postgraduate studentships funded by the UK Research Councils (BBSRC, MRC, etc.) require the candidates to be UK citizens, or EU citizens who have been resident in the UK for at least 3-years prior to commencement of postgraduate studies.
- Less-stringent residency restrictions on eligibility for Postgraduate studentships provided by Industrial bodies and charities. These vary according to the specific funders.
- We will also consider applications from outstanding students who are able to meet University tuition fees and living expenses, through dedicated fellowships and/or private means.
Further information on funding is available on the University of Edinburgh Scholarships and Student Finances web site.