UKRI-BBSRC Council members appointed
Council members of BBSRC have been confirmed by the board of UK Research and Innovation.
The members of the UK’s Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) have been appointed and will take up their posts following the establishment of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) on 1 April 2018.
UKRI-BBSRC Council members appointed:
- Professor Ewan Birney, Director, European Bioinformatics Institute
- Dr Belinda Clarke, Director, Agri-Tech East
- Professor Ian Graham, Head of Department of Biology, University of York
- Professor Laura Green, Deputy Pro-Vice Chancellor of Interdisciplinary Research and Impact, University of Warwick
- Professor Martin Humphries, Professor of Biochemistry, University of Manchester
- Dr Deborah Keith, former Head of Global R&D External Collaborations, Syngenta
- Professor Ottoline Leyser, Professor of Plant Development, Cambridge University
- Professor Andrew Millar, Professor of Systems Biology, University of Edinburgh
- Professor Malcolm Skingle, Director of Global External Science and Technology, GSK
- Professor David Stephens, Professor of Cell Biology, University of Bristol
- Professor Ian Boyd, Chief Scientific Adviser, Defra
Professor Ewan Birney is a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of The Roslin Institute, advising Senior Management on the quality, progress and focus of the Institute’s research programmes.
I am delighted to welcome all members to the new BBSRC Council. BBSRC’s Council members bring both a wealth of experience and an invaluably diverse blend and range of skills gained across academia, industry and government. I am confident that they will help BBSRC and UK Research and Innovation to achieve our objectives and build upon the UK's world-leading position in research and innovation.
The Councils will be responsible for advising and making decisions, as delegated to it by the UK Research and Innovation Board, on scientific, research and innovation matters.