The Easter Bush Campus Open Day
On 14 October we welcomed nearly 500 people who could see the behind the scenes at The Roslin Institute and Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies.
On Saturday 14 October our doors opened at 12pm to welcome our visitors. We were delighted to see that in only four hours we welcomed nearly 500 people at The Roslin Institute and Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies.
Visitors could take a tour of the buildings, meet our scientists and vets, hear about their work, get hands-on with fun activities suitable for all the family, including analysing their own DNA at the brand new Easter Bush Science Outreach Centre which opened its doors to the public for the first time.
Some of the information and activities offered included:
- Live video feeds from our animal facilities
- Smartphone microscopes
- Bio-imaging labs
- Vaccination, flu, bacteria and rabies control
- Brains and hormones
- DNA and genetics
- Vitamin D
- Easter Bush Campus Apiary
- Use of animals in science and careers
- Roslin Innovation Centre
- Tours of the building
The event was part of the Midlothian Science Festival and was one of the several activities the Institute took part of such as "Walkie Talkies: Dog walk", "Wild Science" and "Meet the Cows".
Everyone is welcome to join our public events:
- 30 October: Professor Mark Stevens, Deputy Director - Confronting the microbial menace in our food
- 20 November: Professor Elspeth Milne - From cells to Clydesdales: a romp around the veterinary profession
- Royal Highland Show – June 2018
- Easter Bush Campus Open Day - Autumn 2018
- Schools engagement & Work experience
The University of Edinburgh’s Easter Bush Campus hosts The Roslin Institute, Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies, Roslin Innovation Centre, Scotland’s Rural College, Hospital for Small Animals and an Apiary.
The Roslin Institute Community Engagement
Easter Bush Science Outreach Centre