Animal Biosciences MSc
Roslin logo

Help and Support

A series of frequently asked questions about the MSc in Animal Biosciences.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the aim of the MSc in Animal Biosciences?

We have designed this course to provide skills in all techniques and knowledge in modern animal experimentation. The course is centred on practical experience in the animal science laboratory. You will be guided through laboratory activities and your dissertation project to ensure that you gain a rounded training in approaches to working with live animals, cell lines and tissues. For more details of the courses within the programme, please go to the Programme page.

What qualifications do I need to apply for this course?

Full details of the qualifications needed to apply for the MSc in Animal Biosciences can be found on the Academic Requirements page.

What if English isn't my first language?

If English is not your first language you must provide evidence of proficiency in English. Please see the Academic Requirements page for further details. English at CEFR level B2 is required; CEFR level C1 would be desirable.

Once enrolled in the course, The University of Edinburgh provides a free assessment test (TEAM test) and free assistance to those who will benefit from additional tuition in English.

How much does the course cost?

Students are required to pay University of Edinburgh tuition fees for a Taught Masters course. There also Additional Programme Costs which must be paid by all students. Please see the University of Edinburgh Fees page for further information.

What Studentships are available?

There are a number of scholarships and other financial assistance available for programmes at the University of Edinburgh. Please see the Bursaries and Studentships page.

When is the closing date for applications?

Applications for this programme are accepted up to 31 July of the year of entry. See How to Apply for more information.

Where can I find out about the timetable and teaching schedule?

Details of the courses within the programme and the times when the different sections will be taught are available on the Programme page. We envisage that students will spend a full working day at the Roslin Institute, either in classes and practical sessions or working on their assessment items and attending Institute seminars and lab meetings. You should therefore plan to be at the Institute from 9am to 5pm most days.

What can I do to prepare for my MSc studies?

The University Institute for Academic Development has a lot of information to help you prepare for your life as a MSc student. Make sure you look at the video of a previous student talking about her postgraduate experience.

Where will the teaching take place?

The MSc in Animal Biosciences is taught at the Roslin Institute Building, on the Easter Bush Campus of the University of Edinburgh. Easter Bush is near the village of Bilston south of Edinburgh city. Most students live in Edinburgh city and use the bus to come to the Campus which is served by Lothian Buses routes X15, X47, 67 and some 37 services. Lothian Buses services 37, 40 and 47 and First Bus 62 also have stops at Bilston, approximately 15 minutes walk from the Campus.

How can I find somewhere to live?

The University of Edinburgh has an accommodation service for students. In addition, once you have the offer of a place in the course, you will be able to access the students only page of the MSc in Animal Biosciences website, where you will see recent accommodation advertisements and can let other students know that you are interested in sharing a flat.

What do MSc in Animal Biosciences graduates go on to do?

Five cohorts of students (graduating in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016) have completed the programme. They are now employed in universities, veterinary practice, government and industry. Around one third to one half each year go on to study for PhDs in the UK and Europe. See our Graduate Destinations page for more information.

Where can I find more information about postgraduate study at Edinburgh University?

The University has a detailed Postgraduate Prospectus.

What support does the University provide for overseas students?

The University of Edinburgh International Office provides help and advice for foreign students.