As a world-leading research-intensive university, international collaboration is key to our success. Responsible research is a new initiative that provides guidance, information and support to ensure our international collaborations are undertaken securely, to protect our University values, world-leading reputation and integrity.
Responsible Research will:
- ensure awareness of potential risks
- support our community to make informed decisions
- support researchers to have confidence in international collaboration
- highlight how to protect research, and colleagues from theft, misuse or exploitation
- enable informed decisions at all levels
Responsible Research covers:
- information, advice and guidance about the risks involved in international collaboration
- awareness of where support can be accessed within the University
- how to report concerns
- relevant training materials currently available
Five pillars of Responsible Research
There are five key pillars supporting safe, secure and sustainable international collaborations.
Support and information for each comes from professional services across the University.
- Export control
- Due diligence and risk management (secured) [Ease protected]
- Travel safety and security
- Information security
- Guidance and advice on developing partnerships (secured) [Ease protected]
Training for University staff
Over the coming months, new staff training will be developed to help staff negotiate export control, international partnerships, information security, and travel risk.
Leadership and contacts
Responsible Research is championed by the Vice-Principal International and Deputy Vice-Principal Research.
The Global Partnerships team (in Edinburgh Global), co-ordinate Responsible Research, working in partnership with professional service areas including:
- Edinburgh Research Office
- Legal Services
- Human Resources
- Corporate Services
- Health and Safety
- Information Services
Learn more about the Global Partnerships team
Contact the Global Partnerships team
The initial phase of development of Responsible Research will be undertaken in Semester 1, 2021-2022, with further phases rolled out across 2022/202