How to use Research Professional
Research Professional is a web service which provides research funding news and a comprehensive database of research funding opportunities. The University of Edinburgh subscribes to this service, which means you can use it to identify potential funding for your research.
What does Research Professional do?
- Allows you to search a comprehensive database of funding opportunities.
- Allows search by a variety of criteria (sponsor, discipline, award type, closing date etc).
- Provides up to date funding and sector news.
- Provides workgroup funding opportunities specific to you and your schools.
- Allows you to set-up e-mail alerts for funding opportunities and/or research news.
- Allows you to search previous successful applicants to the Research Councils, Wellcome Trust and Leverhulme.
- Provides guidance on developing winning proposals from leading PIs and managers.
Getting started Watch video
- Look top left for ‘With your university account’.
- Select University of Edinburgh from the drop-down list.
- You will be taken to EASE, where you use your University credentials to log in.
- You will be invited to create an account if you haven’t already.
- Having an account allows you to access advanced features such as setting email alerts, administrating research teams and expressing interest in specific calls.
- You can access Research Professional when you’re on or off campus. Off campus, you can log in using your EASE account.
Searching for opportunities Watch video
- The easiest way to search for funding opportunities is from the opportunities search bar on the home page.
- This allows free-text searching, and it will also suggest search parameters (e.g. by funder or discipline) based on what you type.
- Click on Advanced Search to define further search parameters.
Saving searches and setting up email alerts Watch video
- You can save searches for later.
- You can also receive email alerts when a new opportunity meeting your search criteria is announced.
- Start by clicking the orange Save button to save your search results.
Managing your email alerts Watch video
What else is on the site?
- News and funding give you access to the latest funding news and policy updates, including features on funding schemes and interviews with successful applicants.
- Our Institution allows you to see predefined searches of interest to the University of Edinburgh and links to content on our website.
Need further help?
For any inquiries about or comments on this service, including training and induction, please email:
Al Innes, Research Development Officer - Al.Innes@ed.ac.uk