Applying to the European Research Council
Resources for researchers interested in applying to the European Research Council (ERC) and information about the core application support and proposal development support that we provide.
European Research Council (ERC)
The ERC's mission is to encourage the highest quality research in Europe through competitive funding and to support investigator-driven frontier research across all fields, on the basis of scientific excellence. The ERC aims to:
- Support the best of the best in Europe across all fields of science, scholarship and engineering
- Promote wholly investigator-driven, or 'bottom-up' frontier research
- Encourage the work of the established and next generation of independent top research leaders in Europe
- Reward innovative proposals by placing emphasis on the quality of the idea rather than the research area
- Raise the status and visibility of European frontier research and the very best researchers of today and tomorrow
In Edinburgh Research Office we have particular strengths in enabling successful applications across ERC Starting, Consolidator and Advanced Grants. The University has secured more than €145M across almost 100 projects during Horizon 2020, the ERC funding program which ran from 2014-2020. The University is the tenth most successful in Europe, and fourth in the UK, in terms of securing ERC awards.
We provide resources, information, application and proposal development support for researchers applying to the ERC.