The University of Edinburgh is committed to maintaining the highest standards of research integrity in all aspects of its research.
Our reputation as an elite research-led institution is built on the high quality of research conducted by our staff and students. To maintain this reputation and the trust in the research we produce, we expect all staff, students and researchers to uphold the highest standards of scholarly and scientific research integrity.
UKRIO Code of Practice for Research
The University of Edinburgh was one of the first UK universities to adopt the UKRIO's Code of Practice for research which underpins the UUK Concordat.
The Code of Practice for Research is an essential reference tool to support researchers and research organisations in the conduct of research of the highest quality and standards.
UK Research Integrity Office's (UKRIO) Code of Practice for Research
The UUK Concordat
The Concordat seeks to ensure that research produced by or in collaboration with the UK research community is underpinned by the highest standards of rigour and integrity. The University of Edinburgh has adopted the Concordat as the foundation of our commitment to good practice in research.
The Concordat’s five commitments are:
- upholding the highest standards of rigour and integrity in all aspects of research
- ensuring that research is conducted according to appropriate ethical, legal and professional frameworks, obligations and standards
- supporting a research environment that is underpinned by a culture of integrity and based on good governance, best practice and support for the development of researchers
- using transparent, timely, robust and fair processes to deal with allegations of research misconduct when they arise
- working together to strengthen the integrity of research and to reviewing progress regularly and openly.
Universities UK (UUK) Concordat to Support Research Integrity
Dr Lorna Thomson, Director of Edinburgh Research Office, oversees the measures we take across the University to ensure that as an institution, we embed and develop a culture of research integrity. You can find points of contact for information and queries about research integrity in individual Schools and Colleges by following the link below to our help page.