What to keep
Deciding what information needs to be kept.
Exactly what records you keep on file will vary according to the work you do. Reasons for keeping records include:
- We need the information to carry out our business.
- There is a legal requirement to keep the information.
- We need the information for financial purposes.
- We will need the information to explain why we arrived at a particular decision.
- We will need the information if our decision is challenged in court.
- We will need the information to be publicly accountable for our policies and decisions.
- We will need the information to help us deal with similar situations in the future.
- We will need the information to defend our rights and responsibilities, or the rights and responsibilities of others.
- The information has value for historical research purposes.