Five key points
The five key points every member of staff needs to know.
To meet your data protection obligations, remember:
- When collecting personal data provide a privacy notice detailing how data are used, with whom they are shared, and the retention period;
- If someone asks to see information the University holds about them or queries our use of information about them, contact your local information practitioner as soon as possible;
- Keep personal data securely, e.g. use strong passwords, encrypt data not held on University networks, and ensure you send emails to the correct recipient;
- Always do a privacy impact assessment when you plan a new project or review an existing process so privacy requirements can be met by design;
- Do not keep personal data longer than necessary; refer to the relevant retention schedule.