Information about central support to help staff across the University comply with data protection and freedom of information legislation.
The Data Protection Officer and the Records Management Section support the University's compliance with information legislation and the implementation of records management best practice.
Records Management Section
The Records Management Section provides the following services and support:
- Advice, guidance and training on records management, data protection and freedom of information matters
- Procedures, advice and coordination of responses to non-routine requests for information
Data Protection Officer (DPO)
The DPO is a statutory position with a key role in ensuring compliance with data protection legislation. The DPO is responsible for setting the data protection strategy of the University.
The DPO works separately from the Records Management Section in order to maintain independence and set strategy. Both the DPO and Records Management report directly to the Deputy Secretary, Strategic Planning.
Who to contact and when
Contact the Records Management Section if you are:
- A member of staff seeking advice on compliance with data protection, records management and freedom of information issues.
- A freedom of information practitioner seeking advice on an information request you have received
Contact the Data Protection Officer if you :
- Have a concern about how the University is handling personal data about you
- Email: email@example.com
Governance and Strategic Planning
University of Edinburgh
- Post Code
- EH8 9YL
We work closely together and will ensure that your enquiry is dealt with by the correct team/person.