Edinburgh's Old Royal Infirmary, a category A listed building at the heart of the Quartermile development in the city centre, is to be the setting for a major new facility for the University, with accommodation for humanities, business and arts disciplines.
Design proposals were exhibited at the public consultation event on 24th October 2016
tel: 0131 667 7351
Drawing on the University’s wide ranging academic expertise, the new space will unite business and public policy to address societal and environmental challenges. It will do so by forming meaningful partnerships with industry, governments and the broader community.
The hub aims to transform how information gathering and processing is understood, and how creativity and technology can affect organisations, working environments and people’s lives.
It will nurture a new generation of entrepreneurial citizens who are equipped to deal with the challenges of a volatile, ambiguous and uncertain world.
Built in 1879 to architect David Bryce’s Scots Baronial design, the building on Lauriston Place has historical links with the University.
Generations of students from Edinburgh’s Medical School trained at the Royal Infirmary before the hospital moved to the south of the city in 2003. It is now part of the Quartermile Development.
We are very excited about the acquisition of the old Surgical Hospital. It will enable us to expand our outstanding teaching facilities and help us consolidate our position as a world-class university that is accessible to the wider community. Given our long relationship, it is fitting that this beautiful building is to become a permanent part of the University.
The project managers are Faithful and Gould and the architects are Bennetts Associates.