Room 2.03, Dugald Stewart Building
- 3 Charles Street, Edinburgh
- Post code
- EH8 9AD
I received my academic training as a text linguist in the Hallidayan tradition at the University of Sydney. My areas of expertise include Discourse Analysis (multimodal & critical), Social Semiotics, and Systemic Functional Grammar.
Prior to joining Edinburgh, I held the Carlsberg Distinguished Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at the University of Southern Denmark (2016-2018) and the Chancellor's Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at the University of Technology Sydney (2013-2016). I was a visiting research associate at UCL Institute of Education in 2015 and 2016.
I am a speaker of Mandarin Chinese and Shanghainese.
I teach DA-related topics in the following courses in the 2020-21 academic year.
LEL 1A (pre-honours): Discourse Analysis
Pragmatics (honors/MSc): Applying coherence theory in clinical settings
I am the course organizer for Discourse Analysis (Honors & MSc).
Please refer to UG teaching information above.
Open to PhD supervision enquiries?
Areas of interest for supervision
I have limited supervision capacity at the moment, so I would only be able to supervise PhD topics on video-sharing platforms and multimodality.
I also accept PhD applications through the CDT-NPL doctoral training programme https://web.inf.ed.ac.uk/cdt/natural-language-processing/people/cdt-nlp-supervisory-teams
Current PhD students supervised
- Tiffany Pang (co) The online discourses of "Princess Syndrome" in the Taiwanese context
- Andre Theng (Lead) Social media and the catholic church
- Alexandera Sevastynova (Lead) Russian speaking influencers and mental health discourse
- Bonnie Liu (Lead) Professional and gender identities of Taiwanese Youtube vloggers
- Humin Xiu (Advisory Board, National Insitute of Education, Singapore) Laowai micro-influencers on Chinese social media
- J R Wells (second)
- Natalie Lau (second, SPS)
- Digital literacies and multimodal practices of young children: the design and use of mobile applications in the early childhood context, digital literacy practices of immigrant families with young children, picture books and transnational text flows
- Multimodality and social media discourses: selfies and digital genres, the discourses of childhood & motherhood, technology-mediated multimodal interaction
You can find a list of my publications here, https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=OWSe9m4AAAAJ&hl=enc
- I am an editor for Functions of Language (https://benjamins.com/catalog/fol) and serves on the editorial board of Frontiers in Communication.
- I am the convenor of BAAL SIG Language & New Media. https://baallangnewmedia.wordpress.com/
- I am a member of the International Collective of Research and Design in Children's Digital Books. www.childrensdigitalbooks.com
- I participate in the COST DigiLiTEY action (www.digilitey.eu) and acted as the Danish representative in 2017 and 2018.
- Functions of language (Journal)
- Language, literature and childhood to
- The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher (Journal)
- British Association for Applied Linguistics (External organisation)
- Literacy (Journal)