I received my academic training as a text linguist in the Hallidayan tradition at the University of Sydney. My areas of expertise include Discourse Analysis (multimodal & critical), Social Semiotics, and Systemic Functional Grammar.
Prior to joining Edinburgh, I held the Carlsberg Distinguished Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at the University of Southern Denmark (2016-2018) and the Chancellor's Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at the University of Technology Sydney (2013-2016). I was a visiting research associate at UCL Institute of Education in 2015 and 2016.
I am a speaker of Mandarin Chinese and Shanghainese.
I teach DA-related topics in the following courses in the 2020-21 academic year.
LEL 1A (pre-honours): Discourse Analysis
Pragmatics (honors/MSc): Applying coherence theory in clinical settings
Language Variation and Change (honors/MSc): Lexical change and social media
I lead the seminar on Multimodality in Guided Research in LEL (Honors/MSc).
I am the course organizer for Discourse Analysis (Honors & MSc) and teach the following topics
Introduction to discourse analysis, Computer-mediated discourse analysis, social media & narrative analysis, corpus-assisted discourse analysis.
Please refer to UG teaching information above.
Open to PhD supervision enquiries?
Areas of interest for supervision
Apart from the topics directly related to my research, I am willing to consider thesis topics in the following three broad areas:
- Multimodality: I am particularly interested in projects using video-data
- Linguistic Ethnography in the context of early childhood (3-8): carer-child interaction, peer interaction, & joint-reading practices
- Text linguistics: English & Chinese
Current PhD students supervised
- Digital literacies and multimodal practices of young children: the design and use of mobile applications in the early childhood context, digital literacy practices of immigrant families with young children, picture books and transnational text flows
- Multimodality and social media discourses: selfies and digital genres, the discourses of childhood & motherhood, technology-mediated multimodal interaction
You can find a list of my publications here, https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=OWSe9m4AAAAJ&hl=enc
- I am the book review editor for Discourse & Communication (Sage).
- I serve on the committee for BAAL SIG Language & New Media as the event organiser.
- I am a member of the International Collective of Research and Design in Children's Digital Books. www.childrensdigitalbooks.com
- I am a member of the FOCUS Visual & Experimental Methods Network (@FOCUSnet_work).
- I participate in the COST DigiLiTEY action (www.digilitey.eu) and acted as the Danish representative in 2017 and 2018.
- Literacy (Journal)
- Multilingua (Journal)
- Visual Communication (Journal)
- Discourse & Communication (Journal)
- Developing a critical discourse analysis of the everyday
- HETEROSEXUAL COUPLEHOOD AND “NEI-WAI” IDEOLOGY IN MEDIA DISCOURSE: A FEMINIST CRITICAL DISCOURSE ANALYSIS PERSPECTIVE
- It’s all about interaction: Listener responses as a Discourse-organizational variable
- Social media & the curatorial self: Towards a CDA of the Everyday
- Exploring the effects of language experience on spatiotemporal cognition in Mandarin-English bilinguals: Is the past still up?
- New Media and Society (Journal)