Peter France retired in 2000 and is Professor Emeritus and Honorary Fellow.
- French literature of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries
- rhetoric and literary theory
- comparative literature
- modern Russian poetry
- literary translation
His main books include:
- Politeness and its Discontents (1992)
- Diderot (1983)
- Poets of Modern Russia (1982)
- Rhetoric and Truth in France (1972)
- Racine's Rhetoric (1965)
- Mapping Lives, the Uses of Biography (2002).
- The Oxford Guide to Literature in English Translation (2000)
- The New Oxford Companion to Literature in French (1995)
He has published several volumes of translation, particularly poetry, and is currently preparing a volume of the poetry of Evgeny Baratynsky and working as joint general editor, with Stuart Gillespie of Glasgow University, of the five-volume Oxford History of Literary Translation in English.