Teaching Fellow (Arabic), eLearning Officer
Of Moroccan origin Mourad Diouri has spent almost a decade of his professional career teaching languages at a number of institutions across the UK. His career and passion for teaching began at the University of East Anglia where he won the University‘s Award of Excellence in Teaching in 2005 for the Most Innovative Course Design and as a result of integrating educational technologies into classroom teaching.
He moved to Edinburgh in 2007 to take up his current post, where his enthusiasm for language teaching combined with technology became a reality. Now specialising in TELL (Technology Enhanced Language Learning), Mourad has made it a personal mission to modernise and advance the teaching of Arabic and other foreign languages.
Mourad is regularly involved in teacher-training designing regular CPD courses in teaching foreign languages with technology and eLearning and has designed and delivers a regular 2-day training programme delivered across the UK.
Teaching Awards & Grants
(2018) Student Experience Grant [Awarded the highest grant available] - Goo.gl/n9z2bQ
(2016) Innovation Initiative Grant, University of Edinburgh Development Trust
(2011) e-Assessment Innovation Award
(2011) Formative e-Assessment Award (Highly Commended)
(2009) eLearning Awards (Shortlisted for “Excellence in the Production of e-Learning Content)
(2004-2005) Teaching Excellence Award for Innovative Course Design & Teaching Strategies
- Moroccan Arabic Dialect
e-Learning Programme (PG Intensive Arabic Programme)
Intensive Arabic A
Intensive Arabic B
Advanced Arabic E
Advanced Arabic D
Advanced Arabic G
- Advanced Arabic H
- Approaches to Research in Advanced Arabic
- Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language
- Teacher Professional Development (Use of Technology in Teaching Languages)
- Blended Learning & Teaching of Modern Foreign Languages
- Emerging tools and technologies for teaching MFL and Arabic
- Arabic Loanwords in European Languages
Edinburgh Arab Festival (Edinburgh Festival Fringe)
Mourad Diouri is the founder and director of the Edinburgh Arab Festival, which was launched in 2015 as the first ever Arab Festival in Scotland. The festival is an annual event and is registered as part of the internationally renowned Edinburgh International Arts Festival, known as the Fringe Festival.
The festival is a vibrant two-day event to introduce the rich cultural, literary and historical heritage of the Arab world to the public. The event's programme include events such as: keynote speech by high-profile speakers, exhibition and art galleries, live entertainment, food tasting and multiple live workshops in language, poetry, storytelling and art.
- Diouri, M. (2015), Teach Yourself: Essential Arabic Vocabulary: A Handbook of Core Terms, John Murray Ltd.
- Diouri, M. (2012), Internet Arabic: Essential Middle Eastern Vocabularies , Edinburgh, University Press
- Diouri, M. (2011), Teach Yourself: Read & Write Arabic Script, Hodder Education
Articles and Book Chapters
- Diouri, M. (2010), Blending the Old and New Ways of Teaching Tools: Revolutionizing Traditional Arabic Language Learning & Teaching, ARABELE 2009 International Congress on Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language, Spain
- Diouri, M. (2009), A Taste Of The Arabic Language, Liaison Magazine, Volume 3, Language, Linguistics & Studies, Higher Education Academy
- Diouri, M. (2009), A Job Like Mine (Carving a career in e-Learning), e-Learning Age Magazine
- Diouri, M. (2009), 4 Ts (Top Ten Tips To) Improve Your Language Learning Skills Abroad, eZine Articles, eZinearticles.com
Other Selected e-Learning Resources
- Diouri, M. (2014), Arabic Flashcard Sets, MrPrintables.com
- Diouri, M. (2012), Audio Children’s Stories (24 Stories), Lanugagenut.com
- eLearning Resources: Audio/visual digital flashcards for the following publications published by (Edinburgh University Press):
- Diouri, M. (2012), eLearning Resources for (Security Arabic: Essential Middle Eastern Vocabularies, by )
- Diouri, M. (2012), eLearning Resources for (Media Arabic: Essential Middle Eastern Vocabularies, by E. Kendall)
- Diouri, M. (2011), eLearning Resources for (Media Persian: Essential Middle Eastern Vocabularies, by D. P. Brookshaw)
- Diouri, M. (2012), eLearning Resources for (Internet Arabic, Essential Middle Eastern Vocabularies, by M. Diouri)
- Diouri, M. (2011), One Minute Arabic Podcast Course, Radio Lingua Network, iTunes Platform