Dr ML White
Programme Director: MSc Transformative Learning and Teaching / Senior Lecturer in Teacher Education
- Moray House School of Education and Sport, IETL
- University of Edinburgh
- Tel: +44 (0)131 651 6331
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Moray House School of Education and Sport
- University of Edinburgh (Holyrood Campus)
- Post code
- EH8 8AQ
Following a career in secondary education, I have worked in higher education since 2002 teaching, researching and leading Teacher Education and Education Studies programmes at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
I have experience delivering research-led, impactful, high quality, successful teaching evidenced by student feedback, the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES), the Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) survey, staff feedback and peer review. For the past six years I have been nominated in the Student Led Teaching Awards and I have experience developing and leading innovative and research-led approaches to teaching and learning working across institution and with external partners. I have experience of inter-disciplinary and professional learning and am involved in and have led national and international Teacher Education networks.
As a teacher educator I am committed to the promotion of social justice agendas.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Education (FUNDED), Middlesex University, London, UK (2009)
- MA Media, Culture and Communication, Institute of Education, University of London, UK (2003)
- Diploma in Media Education (Merit), Birkbeck, University of London, London, UK (1999)
- B.A (hons.) English and Education, Diploma of Education (QTS), University of Stirling, Stirling, UK (1995)
Responsibilities & affiliations
Senior Fellow of Higher Education Academy (HEA)
NW10 Teacher Education Link Convenor/ Programme Chair, European Education Research Association (EERA)
Member of the Professional Learning Network
LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® facilitator (certified by the Association of Master Trainers)
Peer reviewer for Qualitative Research (SAGE), Ethnography and Education (Routledge), British Education Research Association Journal (BERJ) and conference and the European Education Research Association (EERA) conference
Member of International Editorial Board for Journal of Education for Teaching (International research and pedagogy)
- MA Physical Education/MA Primary Gaelic: Dissertation supervisor for Educational Studies
- Course Organiser for 'Developing Teacher Professionalism' on MSc Transformative Learning and Teaching (year 1)
- Course Organiser for 'Developing Teacher Professionalism' on MSc Transformative Learning and Teaching (year 2)
- Course Organiser for 'Teacher Literacies' on MSc Transformative Learning and Teaching (year 2)
- Co-course Organiser for 'Coaching and Mentoring' on MEd Leadership and Learning
- University Cluster Link and University Coach for site-based learning component of MSc Transformative Learning and Teaching
- Course Organiser for 'Supporting Teacher Learning in and Through Practice (STLiTP)
Open to PhD supervision enquiries?
Areas of interest for supervision
I welcome enquiries about supervision on topics related to my areas of interest.
Broadly my research practices are focussed on issues related to social justice, ethnographic educational research, visual research methods and multimodal perspectives on urban schooling. Specifically, I am interested in how we prepare beginner teachers to work in areas of socio-economic disadvantage, reaching and teaching students in poverty and the consequences of what Ladson-Billings (2006) calls the educational debt.
In addition to my work in teacher education I am interested in and have written about developing civic media pedagogies , social geography and how young people experience space and place in education and learning.