Michela Massimi joined Philosophy at the University of Edinburgh in July 2012, where she founded and is currently leading the Research Cluster in Philosophy of Science. Before joining Edinburgh, Michela taught for seven years at UCL in the Dept. of Science and Technology Studies, and in 2009 she was Visiting Professor at HPS, Pittsburgh. She completed her PhD at the LSE in 2002, and in 2002-2005 she was Junior Research Fellow at Girton College, University of Cambridge. Michela is the recipient of the Royal Society 2017 Wilkins-Bernal-Medawar Medal Lecture for her interdisciplinary interests in and communication of philosophy and science. In 2018 Michela was elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. For her research profile, cv, and up-to-date list of publications, see her personal webpage above.
- Kant and the Laws of Nature (co-edited with Angela Breitenbach CUP 2017)
- Pauli’s Exclusion Principle (CUP 2005)
- Kant and Philosophy of Science Today (edited, CUP 2008)
- Philosophy and the Sciences for Everyone (edited, Routledge, autumn 2014)
Responsibilities & affiliations
- Research Cluster in Philosophy of Science
- Project Leader and Convenor for the Philosophy and the Sciences MOOC
- (please note that Prof Massimi is currently on research leave in 2018/9 to deliver on her ERC Consolidator grant Perspectival Realism).
Michela has organised and taught the following courses at Edinburgh:
- Advanced Topics in Philosophy of Science
- Science, Nature and Social Values
- Realism, Relativism and Reality
- Contemporary Debates in Philosophy of Science
- Philosophy of Science I
- Please note that Prof Massimi is on resarch leave in 2018/9 because of her ERC grant on Perspectival Realism.
- By appointment only during sabbatical leave.
Current PhD students supervised
- Ana Cretu (Lead) - completed in 2018
- Franklin Jacoby (Lead)
- Laura Jimenez (Lead)
- Nicholas Rebol (Lead)
- Lorenzo Spagnesi (Lead)
- Keith Heard
- Anna Ortin Nadal - completed in 2018
- Sander Klaasse (School of Divinity)
Philosophy of Science, History of Philosophy, Kant
For an up-to-date CV, list of publications and links to pre-prints of articles, please consult Prof Massimi's personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/philosophymassimi/
For a full list of past and present KE events, please consult Prof. Massimi's personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/philosophymassimi/
Affiliated research centres
Current project grants
Prof Massimi is currently the Principal Investigator of an ERC Consolidator Grant "Perspectival Realism. Science, knowledge and truth from a human vantage point", 2016-2020 (€1.6 million).
For the activities of the project and relevant details please see: www.perspectivalrealism.org
Past project grants
Prof Massimi was the Principal Investigator of a Leverhulme Trust International Network "Kant and the Laws of Nature" (2012-2015).
For the activities of the project and relevant info, please see: www.kantandlaws.wordpress.com