Michela Massimi joined Philosophy at the University of Edinburgh in July 2012, where she founded and is currently leading the Research Cluster in Philosophy of Science. Before joining Edinburgh, Michela taught for seven years at UCL in the Dept. of Science and Technology Studies, and in 2009 she was Visiting Professor at HPS, Pittsburgh. She completed her PhD at the LSE in 2002, and in 2002-2005 she was Junior Research Fellow at Girton College, University of Cambridge. For her research profile, cv, and up-to-date list of publications, see her personal webpage above.
- Kant and the Laws of Nature (co-edited with Angela Breitenbach CUP 2017)
- Pauli’s Exclusion Principle (CUP 2005)
- Kant and Philosophy of Science Today (edited, CUP 2008)
- Philosophy and the Sciences for Everyone (edited, Routledge, autumn 2014)
Responsibilities & affiliations
- Research Cluster in Philosophy of Science
- Project Leader and Convenor for the Philosophy and the Sciences MOOC
- (please note that Prof Massimi is currently mostly on research leave with her ERC Consolidator grant Perspectival Realism).
Michela currently organises and teaches the following courses at Edinburgh:
- Advanced Topics in Philosophy of Science (from 2017/8 renamed "Science, Nature and Social Values", semester 1, 2017/8)
- Realism, Relativism and Reality (semester 2 in 2017/8)
- (please note that Prof Massimi is mostly on resarch leave in 2017/8 because of her ERC grant on Perspectival Realism).
- (semester 2 only) Thursday 1.15pm - 3.15pm
Current PhD students supervised
- Ana Cretu (Lead)
- Franklin Jacoby (Lead)
- Laura Jimenez (Lead)
- Nicholas Rebol (Lead)
- Lorenzo Spagnesi (Lead)
- Keith Heard
- Anna Ortin Nadal
- Sander Klaasse (School of Divinity)
Philosophy of Science, History of Philosophy, Kant
For an up-to-date CV, list of publications and links to pre-prints of articles, please consult Prof Massimi's personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/philosophymassimi/
For a full list of past and present KE events, please consult Prof. Massimi's personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/philosophymassimi/
Affiliated research centres
Current project grants
Prof Massimi is currently the Principal Investigator of an ERC Consolidator Grant "Perspectival Realism. Science, knowledge and truth from a human vantage point", 2016-2020 (€1.6 million).
For the activities of the project and relevant details please see: www.perspectivalrealism.org
Past project grants
Prof Massimi was the Principal Investigator of a Leverhulme Trust International Network "Kant and the Laws of Nature" (2012-2015).
For the activities of the project and relevant info, please see: www.kantandlaws.wordpress.com