Teaching Fellow - Dance Science & Education
Moray House School of Education and Sport, SL 4.11
- University of Edinburgh (Holyrood Campus)
- Post code
- EH8 8AQ
Professional dancer for 21 years, dance teacher, and now academic and dance scientist, currently teaching at the University of Edinburgh on the MSc in Dance Science and Education programme
I have a Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Dance Education (Royal Academy of Dance) and a MSc in Dance Science and Education (Distinction) with the University of Edinburgh where I am presently a PhD. candidate, focusing on talent development and the dancer.
I have over thirty years of dancing, teaching and guesting experience in various international ballet companies and school settings.
Originally from Australia, I joined the Australian Ballet School when after one year was accepted into the Australian Ballet (AB) under the direction of Maina Gielgud where I was awarded a grant to study at the Paris Opera Ballet School. At the age of 21, I was nominated to soloist, performing many roles in the classical and neoclassical repertoire of the company. I later joined Béjart Ballet Lausanne, Bayerishes Staatsballet (Munich) and Ballet de l’Opéra National du Rhin (France) where I continued to perform until 2007.
Other dance projects include international guesting, coaching and assisting choreographers with ballet companies such as the Paris Opera, Shanghai Ballet, Central Ballet of China, National Ballet of Vietnam, among others.
As a pedagogue, my work includes many educational roles, teaching dance in vocational and non-vocational school settings and higher education. I have taught creative movement and choreography to primary and secondary schools students by developing a practice that employs links to the industry and brings importance of theory in to practice.
Esteem Indicators / Leadership:
- Head of Revision of the classical ballet syllabus for the Australian Teachers of Dance, A.T.O.D (2011 – Present)
- President of the Jury for the Dance Teachers Diploma, Centre Jennifer Coubé, Paris (2015)
- Member of the Jury EAT, Marseille in Dance Classique, France (2014 / 2015)
- Member of the Commission Interregional for Dance, Région Nord-East (2004 – 2007 / 2012)
- Manage the selection of independent companies for grants in the studio program (Acceuil Studios) with the Ballet de l’Opéra National du Rhin, France (2004 – 2007)
BA (Hons) In Dance Education (RAD)
MSc In Dance Science and Education (University of Edinburgh)
State Dance Diploma (DE) (France)
Certificate of Aptitude (CA) (France)
Diploma for Dance Teaching and Management (Australian Teachers of Dancing, ATOD)
Certificate 4 in ‘Training and Assessment’ (ATOD)
Dance Education in
- MA in Physical Education Year 1 and 2
- Dance Pedagagy ( MSc Dance Science & Education)
- Preventive Dance medicine ( MSc Dance Science & Education)
- Course Organiser: Professional Development and Leadership in Dance Teaching (PDLDT)
Dance Education in
- Post Graduate Diploma in Education (Primary)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Pysical Education
Dancers's Talent Development and their environments
Affiliated research centres
October 2017: Exploring the Closeness, Investment and Attachment Styles of Adolescent Dancers to their former Dance Teachers: Presented in the 27th Annual Conference of the International Association for Dance Medicine & Science (IADMS) held in Houston, 12-14th October 2017
March 2018: Exploring the Closeness, Investment and Attachment Styles of Adolescent Dancers to their former Dance Teachers: Presented in at the NVDMG symposium 'Genees en Kunst 18' on Thursday March 29th 2018 in Lourdeskerk, Scheveningen.
October 2018: Dancer’s attachment to their first principal ballet teacher: Presented in the 28th Annual Conference of the International Association for Dance Medicine & Science (IADMS) held in Helsinki, 25-28th October 2018