J.P. Fassnidge (LLM)
Thesis title: What we say when we Criminalise – Communicative Action, Criminalisation and Meta-normative questions
British-Chilean lawyer, originally from Bournemouth and then raised in Santiago, Chile. I did my undergraduate studies in law at the Universidad Alberto Hurtado in Chile and became a lawyer in 2017. I taught at the same law school as a tutor in criminal procedure, evidence and litigation and later worked as a postgraduate coordinator for the school's criminal litigation programmes. I then continued my studies at the University of Edinburgh, doing an LLM in Criminal Law and Criminal Justice in 2017/2018. I am currently a PhD researcher at the School of Law in the University of Edinburgh.
Bachelor in Law (Licenciado en Ciencias Jurídicas y Sociales), Universidad Alberto Hurtado
Lawyer, Chilean Supreme Court
LLM Criminal Law and Criminal Justice, University of Edinburgh
Tutor since 2019 for:
Criminal Law (Ord.)
Introduction to Criminal Justice
Critical Legal Thinking
Criminal law theory
Philosophy of Criminal Law
Ethics and Normative Theory
Affiliated research centres
- Criminal Law Discussion Group - Founder and Co-Convenor
- Legal Theory Research Group - Former Convenor (2019-2021)
- III International Law Colloquiums, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, September 2013: “Corporate Responsibility and International Law: Analysis in light of Kiobel v. Royal Dutch Petroleum Co.”
- IV International Law Colloquiums, Universidad Católica del Norte (Coquimbo, Chile), September 2014: “Illegal Evidence and International Criminal Procedure, a study based on EU Case Law”.
- V International Law Colloquiums, Universidad de Chile, September 2015: “The Kenyatta Case: current problems in criminal procedure, international cooperation and due process”.
- Invited Lecturer, Universidad Católica del Norte (Antofagasta, Chile), 2016: Invited lecture entitled “Law and Music, the performing lawyer”, within the “Law and Art” project of the University.
Virtual Criminal Law Group, 2021 - Presented a work-in-progress version of paper "What we say when we criminalise" to the Virtual Criminal Law Group (Edinburgh/Glasgow)
- “ANÁLISIS DE LA PRUEBA” (Analysis of Evidence), ANDERSON, T., SCHUM, D., TWINING, W.: Translation coordinated by Flavia Carbonell and Claudio Agüero, with the collaboration of Daniela Accatino, Federico Arena, Rodrigo Coloma, Juan Pablo Fassnidge and Jorge Larroucau. Marcial Pons, Madrid, 2015
- “CÓDIGO PROCESAL PENAL COMENTADO CON JURISPRUDENCIA, AÑO 2014/2015” – Coordinator: Rafael Blanco, Thompson Reuters, 2015