School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
The University of Edinburgh
50 George Square
- Post code
- EH8 9LH
I was awarded my PhD in Scandinavian Studies in 2018. My thesis examines the transmission of Scandinavian literature to the UK over the last century through a series of case studies based on a theoretical framework encompassing function-oriented descriptive translation studies and polysystems theory. I also hold an MA (Hons) in Scandinavian Studies and an MSc in Translation Studies, both from the University of Edinburgh.
I was the 2017 SWEA International Scholar in Research of the Swedish Language, Literature and Culture.
From 2013 until 2016 I was a University of Edinburgh College of Humanities and Social Sciences Research scholar, and I am the recipient of the Swedish Women's Educational Association International, Inc. Stipend for Research in Swedish Language, Literature and Society in 2017.
I was a co-organiser of the Nordic Research Network (NRN) Conference 2016 London at IMLR in November 2016, and I was the chair of the NRN 2015 organising committee for the conference held at the University of Edinburgh in February 2015.
I co-edited a volume published by Norvik Press featuring fresh interdisciplinary research on Nordic topics being undertaken by early career scholars in the UK, released in 2016. I am a regular contributor to Swedish Book Review.
I have worked as a commercial and literary translator, and have published half a dozen translations. I was shortlisted for the 2015 International Dagger by the Crime Writers’ Association. I am a member of the Translators Association, and an associate member of the SFÖ. I am additionally the Chair of the Swedish-English Literary Translators' Association.
- Scandinavian Civilisation B: From National Romanticism to the Nordic Model (2016/17, 2017/18, 2018/19)
- Scandinavian Historical and Cultural Topics 2 (2013/13)
- Scandinavian Historical and Cultural Topics: From Runes to Rock Music (2014/15)
- Scandinavian Languages 2 (2011/12, 2014/15, 2015/16, 2016/17, 2017/18, 2018/19)
- Swedish 1 (2011/12, 2015/16, 2017/18)
- Ibsen, Brandes and Strindberg (2014/15)
- Ingmar Bergman and Cinema (2014/15)
- Scandinavian Language Paper 2 (2011/12, 2013/14, 2014/15)
- Swedish 4 (2015/16)
- Thinking Translation: A Beginner's Guide (2018/19)
- Facilitator for Kickstart workshop in Scandinavian Studies (2012)
- Research in Translation Studies (2018/19)
- Technology and Translation in the Workplace (2018/19)
Open to PhD supervision enquiries?