Professor of English Linguistics
- Metrical phonology and phonological structure: German and English (= Cambridge Studies in Linguistics; 43). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1985.
- English phonology: an introduction (Cambridge Textbooks in Linguistics). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1992.
- Lexical strata in English: morphological causes, phonological effects (= Cambridge Studies in Linguistics; 89). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1999.
- Lexical structures: compounding and the modules of grammar (= Edinburgh Studies in Theoretical Linguistics; 1). Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2015.
(For small publications see my CV.)
General editor, Edinburgh Textbooks on the English Language (Edinburgh University Press)
- General editor, Advanced Edinburgh Textbooks on the English Language (Edinburgh University Press)
- Co-editor (with Laurie Bauer and Gregory Stump), Word Structure vol.1 (2008) ff. (Edinburgh University Press)
Responsibilities & affiliations
- Director, The Angus McIntosh Centre for Historical Linguistics
- Director of Teaching, Linguistics & English Language
- Honours Convener, Linguistics & English Language
- Chair, Honours Board of Examiners, Linguistics & English Language
- Chair, Special Circumstances Committee
- LEL2A Linguistic theory and the structure of English: course organiser; lectures on phonology and morphology.
- English word-formation. Currently offered in both semesters in both the Honours and PG (MSc) programmes (i.e. at Levels 10 and 11); 20 credits: course organiser and sole teacher.
- Introduction to morphology. From 2016/17 offered in semester 2 at level 11 (10 credits): course organiser and sole teacher.
For an appointment (even at short notice) email email@example.com if possible. But unannounced visits are almost always welcome.
Current PhD students supervised
Phonological and morphological theory, especially in relation to English