The Spiritual in Islamic Calligraphy: A Phenomenological Approach to the Contemporary Turkish Calligraphic Tradition
19 George Square
- Post code
- EH8 9LD
M.Sc. in ISLAMIC AND MIDDLE EASTERN STUDIES, 2012 University of Edinburgh, UK
MASTER’S DEGREE IN RELIGIOUS STUDIES, 2009 University of Padua and University Ca’ Foscari Venice, Italy – Inter-Faculty Program
BACHELOR’S DEGREE IN PHILOSOPHY, 2004 University of Turin, Italy
Tutor in the following courses:
- Islamic History A: The Formation of the Islamic World (2016-2017 - S1)
- Islamic History A: The Formation of the Islamic World (2015-2016 - S1)
- Islamic History B: From the Crusades to the ‘Gunpowder Empires’ (2015-2016 - S2)
- Introduction to Islam B: Religious Thought and Culture (2015-2016 - S2)
- Islamic Calligraphy
- Islamic Art
- Mysticism and Metaphysics
- History of Religions
Affiliated research centres
Current project grants
Awarded an Outreach Ph.D. Studentship covering living allowance and tuition fees for a Ph.D. in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies, University of Edinburgh. Awarding body: Alwaleed Foundation.
Past project grants
Awarded in 2011-2012 a grant covering the tuition fees of the MSc in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies, University of Edinburgh. Awarding body: European Social Fund.
- La Fede baha’i in India. Origini e sviluppi di una nuova religione. [The Baha’i Faith in India: origins and development of a new religion]. Rome: Casa Editrice Baha’i, 2016.
- “The Calligraphic Art of Mishkin Qalam”, in Persian Art: Image-making in Eurasia edited by Yuka Kadoi. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press. [forthcoming November 2017].
- The Calligraphic Art of Mishkin Qalam, paper presented at the international conference “The Visual World of Persianate Culture” (University of Edinburgh, 24-26 October 2014)
- The mirror of the Word: spirituality in contemporary Turkish calligraphy, paper presented at the first International Congress of Turkish Culture “Turkish Sufi Culture and Traditions” (Süleyman Şah University, Istanbul, Turkey, 13-15 October 2014)
- A brush with God, talk delivered during the Just Festival, St John’s Church (Edinburgh, 22 August 2014)
- Spirituality in Islamic calligraphy, talk delivered during the Just Festival (University of Edinburgh, 23 August 2014)
- Fractures and continuity: contemporary Islamic calligraphy, paper presented at the British Association for Islamic Studies Inaugural Conference in Edinburgh (University of Edinburgh, 10-11 April 2014)