Eileen Yiran Zhao
Thesis title: Narrating Time: The Representation of Temporal Experience in Dream of the Red Chamber
Yiran Zhao is currently a second-year PhD candidate in Chinese Studies at the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures, fully funded by CSC (China Scholarships Council).
Before working on her PhD in Edinburgh, she studied at Beijing Normal University, China, where she obtained her Master’s degree in Chinese Modern and Contemporary Literature and Bachelor’s degree in Chinese Language and Literature, both with first-class honours.
During her degrees, she was a teaching assistant at BNU and an exchange student at Fu Jen Catholic University.
MA(Hons) in Chinese Modern and Contemporary Literature (2017), Beijing Normal University.
BA (Hons) in Chinese Language and Literature (2014), Beijing Normal University.
Responsibilities & affiliations
Society and Culture in Pre-modern East Asia
Areas of interest for supervision
My fields of interest include 20th-century Chinese literature, vernacular fiction of the Ming and Qing dynasties, Specifically in Chinese narrative and its aesthetics and philosophical expression in the literary text.
Current research interestsI am currently working on the representation of temporal experience in late imperial Chinese narratives, focusing on the questions of how the literary treatment of time intervenes in the thematic, psychological and metaphorical sphere of the narrativity.
Past research interestsI have worked on four special topics: Forms of Time in the Red Classics, The South Horizont in The Book of Songs, Urban Writing in Chinese Contemporary Literature and Genealogy of Character Images in Chinese Contemporary Literature.
2018 BPCS Conference on "Hetero/Homogeneous China", University of Oxford, 21-22 June 2018: "The Forms of Time and the Temporal Aesthetics in Hong Lou Meng"
2019 BAME Doctoral Researchers Event, The British Library, London, 8 July 2019: "The Rhetoric of Time in Scholar-Beauty Romance of Late Imperial China"
- Zhang Qinghua, Zhao Yiran. "'The Sense of an Ending'---A Time Rhetoric Study of 'Red Narrative'" (《结尾的意义——红色叙事的时间修辞研究》), Literary Debate (文艺争鸣)（CSSCI）,2016-9. http://www.chinawriter.com.cn/n1/2016/1012/c404033-28771949.html
- Zhao Yiran, Zhang Qinghua. "The Time Form of 'Red Narrative'”(《论红色叙事的时间形式》), Dongyue Tribune（东岳论丛) (CSSCI）,2016-9
- Zhao Yiran. “The Eternal Gaze: Imagine of the mad grandfather in Huang Que Ji”, （《永恒的“注视”：<黄雀记>中的疯癫祖父形象》）The Great Wall（长城）2016-3
- Zhao Yiran. “The Characteristic of ‘New People’ and coming-of-age Story in ‘The Seventeen Years’ Literature’”, (《“十七年文学”中的“新人”形象与成长叙事》) The Great Wall（长城）,2016-2
- Zhao Yiran. “The Character Imagine of ‘Old People’ in Lu Xun and Zhao ShuLi’s Novel”(《鲁迅与赵树理小说中的“旧人”形象对比》), The Great Wall（长城）, 2016-1
- Zhao Yiran.“Sea Flowers Blossom: The Shanghai Narrative in Fan Hua”(《〈繁花〉中的上海叙事》The Great Wall（长城）, 2014-5
- Zhao Yiran. "Drowning" 《沉》(fiction), Chapter in Book. 2013 Chinese university rankings: fiction volumes: Lijiang Publishing House (June 1, 2014). 《2013中国高校文学作品排行榜·小说卷》, 漓江出版社, 2014-6 https://item.jd.com/11487124.html ; https://www.amazon.com/Chinese-university-rankings-literary-fiction/dp/7540769491/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=2013+Chinese+university+rankings+literary+fiction&qid=1565543269&s=books&sr=1-1