Dr Paula Smith
Lecturer in Biological Education
I joined the Biology Teaching Organisation as a Lecturer in Biological Education in December 2019, to implement experiential learning enhancement and integrated skills development for the new curriculum in the School of Biological Sciences.
I have been in continuous academic employment since completing my PhD in 1995. I conducted seven years of postdoctoral research in biomedical science, including a Wellcome Trust Prize Fellowship at Toronto University, Canada. I held lectureships in Neuropharmacology (UoE) and Biomedical Science &Toxicology (Edinburgh Napier University), before spending nine years as an Academic eFacilitator/Senior Lecturer for Edinburgh Surgery Online, Deanery of Clinical Sciences (UoE). As well as delivering science degree programmes on-campus and online, I have taught in industry (Aptuit) and overseas (Université Paul Verlaine-Metz, France; Hong Kong HKU Space). In 2017, I completed the Edinburgh Teaching Award for Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
BSc (Hons) Biological Sciences: Pharmacology (1st) (1988 - 1992) University of Edinburgh
PhD in Cardiovascular Pharmacology (1992 - 1995) University of Edinburgh
Responsibilities & affiliations
- Higher Education Academy/Advance HE – Fellow (2004-2017); Senior Fellow (since 2017)
- Medical Science Educator Journal - Editorial Board member (Associate Editor) (since 2015)
- MSc Imaging/Neuroimaging – UoE Board of Examiners Convenor (since 2017)
- International Association of Medical Science Educators (IAMSE) – Educational Scholarship Committee member (since 2018)
- MSc Critical Care – UoE Board of Examiners Convenor (since 2019)