Professor of Global Public Health
- Usher Institute
- College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
- Post code
- EH8 9YL
Professor Sridhar is receiving a large number of requests from the media at the moment. If you are a journalist, please contact email@example.com. University of Edinburgh students can still contact Professor Sridhar directly using details in the Outlook directory.
Devi Sridhar is a Professor at the University of Edinburgh where she holds a Personal Chair in Global Public Health. She is Founding Director of the Global Health Governance Programme and holds a Wellcome Trust Investigator Award.
Recipient of a Rhodes scholarship, Devi holds an MPhil and a DPhil from Oxford University as well as a B.S. from the University of Miami's Honors Medical Program. Prior to her appointment at Edinburgh, she was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at All Souls College, Oxford University and an Associate Professor in Global Health Politics and Fellow at Wolfson College, Oxford University.
Devi is the author of two books—"Governing Global Health: Who Runs the World and Why?" (OUP, 2017) and "The Battle against Hunger: Choice, Circumstance and the World Bank" (OUP, 2007)—and has published her work in Nature, Science, the New England Journal of Medicine, the Lancet and the British Medical Journal.
Responsibilities & Affiliations
Boards and Panels
Devi has served on the:
- Board of Save the Children UK
- World Economic Forum Council on the Health Industry
- Expert review group of the Wellcome Trust
Advisory Board of the Financial Flows Program at the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME; UW-Seattle)
Harvard School of Public Health/London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine Independent Panel on the Global Response to Ebola (with Ashish Jha, Muhammad Pate and Peter Piot) and
Fellowships and Visiting Chairs
- Visiting Faculty at the Public Health Foundation of India
- Guest lecturer at the Harvard School of Public Health
- Former visiting Associate Professor at LMU-Munich
- Associate Fellow at the Chatham House Centre on Global Health Security
- Member of the Royal Society of Edinburgh Young Academy
- Editorial Board Member for the Journal Public Health.
"Global Health" within the University of Edinburgh Medicine programme.
"Investing in Global Health and Development" elective on the University of Edinburgh's Masters in Public Health programme.
Areas of interest for supervision
Devi supervises student projects through the Global Health Governance Programme.
Topics of interest are aligned to the programme's core areas of focus: international health organizations; financing of global public health and the development of better tools for priority-setting, e.g.:
- Multilateral investment in a vertical health programme: A case study of the impact of the African Programme for Onchocerciasis Control (APOC) in Nigeria from 1995-2015 (PhD trainee: Janelle Winters)
- Evaluating the influence and impact of the World Bank’s financial assistance in advancing maternal and child health in India: A case study of the Reproductive and Child Health Project (PhD trainee: Genevie Fernandes)
Devi's work focuses on the three core areas of research within the Global Health Governance Programme: improving the effectiveness of international health organizations; tracking financing to global public health and improving global health security. Her work is conducted in close collaboration with Ministries of Foreign Affairs, Health and Finance and researchers in countries across the world, as well as policy-makers in international institutions such as the WHO, World Bank and UNICEF.
Devi's current projects include:
- The Economic Gaze. The World Banks Influence on Global Public Health (Funder: WT Wellcome Trust)
- RESPIRE: Global Health Research Unit focussing on respiratory health in Asia (Funder: NIHR)
- Working group on Global Health Security and Universal Health Coverage (Funder: Georgetown, DfID)
Devi was listed among the top 100 Global Thinker by Lo Spazio della Politica in 2014 for her work with the World Health Organization (WHO) and on multilateralism. She is a regular media commentator on global public health issues.
Affiliated research centres
Governing Global Health: Who Runs the World and Why? (NYC: Oxford University Press 2017)
- Book Review:
- Book Launch video footage: Governing Global Health: Who Runs the World and Why?
The Battle Against Hunger: Choice, Circumstance and the World Bank (Oxford: Oxford University Press 2008, foreword by Amartya Sen)
Devi is a regular media commentator on global public health issues and has contributed to reports and participated in interviews for the BBC World Service, BBC News, Sky News, STV, BBC Radio 4 & 5, BBC Scotland, BBC Wales, BBC Northern Ireland and several other news outlets.
- The World Bank and Global Health
- Governing Global Health: Who Runs the World and Why? (Book Launch)
- Biology – Global Health (Hay Festival, 2017)
- Devi Sridhar – Governing Global Health (BMJ Biography, BMJ 2017;356:j1490)
- Ebola shows how our global health priorities need to be shaken up (Guardian, 6 May 2015)
- The Lurking Threat to Child Survival (CNN, 1 Sept 2015)