- Moray House School of Education
- Post code
- EH8 8AQ
Following fascinating experience as a Volunteer Education Adviser in Cambodia after my retirement from service as a secondary school headteacher, I returned to work (2011) in the University sector - teaching on leadership development programmes for headteachers and writing about schooling and education more generally. In 2017 I resigned from my salaried position in the University and accepted a role as Honorary Fellow, in which I continue to contribute to teaching programmes and to write and publish on educational issues.
Latest Professional publications:
Murphy, D. (2018) Chapter 27 'Leadership, Management and Organisation in the Secondary School ' in Gilles, D. et al (eds) 'Scottish Education' (5th edition)Edinburgh: University of Edinburgh Press
Freeman, R., McHardy, F. and Murphy, D. (eds) (2017) Working for Equality: Policy, Politics, People (Paisley: CCWB Press) http://www.postcardsfromscotland.co.uk/book12.html
O'Brien, J., Murphy D., Draper, J. Forde, C. and McMahon, M. (2016) School Leadership (3rd completely revised edition), Edinburgh: Dunedin Academic Press http://www.dunedinacademicpress.co.uk/page/detail/School-Leadership/?K=e2014070618504206
Murphy, D., Croxford, L., Howieson, C., Raffe, D. (eds) (2015) Everyone's Future: lessons from fifty years of Scottish comprehensive schooling, London: Trentham/Institute of Education https://ioepress.co.uk/books/schools-and-schooling/everyones-future/
Murphy, D. (2014) Schooling Scotland: Education, equity and community, Edinburgh: Argyll Press http://www.postcardsfromscotland.co.uk/book_07.html
Murphy, D. (2nd edition 2013) Professional School Leadership: Dealing with Dilemmas, Edinburgh: Dunedin Academic Press. Also available in all e.book formats. http://www.dunedinacademicpress.co.uk/page/detail/Professional-School-Leadership/?K=9781780460185
- Served successfully as Headteacher of three very different Scottish comprehensive schools over two decades (HT at Crieff HS, McLaren HS and Lornshill Academy).
- Made significant contributions to practice and theory of school leadership as Founder Director of Centre for Educational Leadership, University of Edinburgh.
- Served on many national committees in Scottish Education (curriculum and leadership policy).
- Extensive track record in leading and facilitating professional development.
- Master of Education (Educational Leadership and Management): Teaching and Dissertation supervision
- Policy development
- Professional development
- The experience and character of secondary education
- School leadership and management
Books and Chapters (recent):
Everyone's Future: lessons from fifty years of Scottish comprehensive schooling (2015: Trentham/Institute of Education) (co-editor)
Schooling Scotland: Education, equity and community (2014: Edinburgh: Argyll Publishing)
Professional School Leadership: Dealing with Dilemmas (2nd edition 2013: Edinburgh: Dunedin Academic Press )
'School Leadership' with Jim O'Brien and Janet Draper (2nd edition 2008) Edinburgh: Dunedin Press. Chapters in the 3rd edition (due 2016) Jim O'Brien (ed).
'Democratic Schooling in Scotland: Past, Present and Future', Chapter in Brown, J, Ross, H and Munn, P (eds) (2012) 'Democratic Citizenship in Schools' Edinburgh: Dunedin Press.
Chapters in 'School Leadership' (ed Jim O'Brien 2016) Edinburgh: Dunedin Academic Press.