Thesis title: The Early Printed Auto-anthologies of Opera Librettos in Italy (1631–1656)
Daniele Falcioni obtained his Master’s Degree in Italian & European Studies at the Sapienza, University of Rome, in 2015, with a dissertation on Girolamo Bartolommei and his "Drammi musicali" (1656). His current PhD research at the University of Edinburgh focuses on the early printed auto-anthologies of melodramas in Italy (1631-1656). Supervisors Dr Nicolò Maldina and Dr Davide Messina.
In addition to his academic studies, Falcioni has been a teacher of Creative Writing and a copy editor since 2015. He is also a published poet and writer.
Bachelor’s Degree in Literature, Music & Performing Arts (Sapienza, University of Rome, 2009), Master’s Degree in Language & Literature: Italian & European Studies (Sapienza, University of Rome, 2015).
Responsibilities & affiliations
Tutor in Italian
Daniele has been Tutor for Foundation Italian Language 1 / 2 at the University of Edinburgh since the academic year 2017-2018.
Daniele has also taught Creative Writing (Italy, 2015-17) and he is currently tutoring online courses (Percorsi di scrittura creativa).
Current research interestsConnections between poetry and music, particularly within the context of opera; 17th century Italian literature and academies; tragicomic and melodrama.
- Sapienza, University of Rome, April 16, 2019. Musicology: 'Verso Metastasio: le prime cinque auto-antologie di melodrammi da leggere (1631-1656)'.
- University of Edinburgh, June 26-28. SIS Biennal Conference: 'Opera as “poesia per musica”: Musical-poetic choices in Seicento Italy' (panel organiser).
- University of Edinburgh, June 26-28, 2019. SIS Biennial Conference: 'Tragicomic Melancholy, Poetry and Music in Bartolommei's "Drammi Musicali" (1656)'.
- Italian Cultural Institute (Edinburgh), October 10, 2018. L’italiano (e le sue varietà) nella rete: problemi descrittivi e aspetti di carattere generale: 'Il laboratorio di social writing Voci nuove'.
- University of Cambridge (UK), September 20-21, 2018. Intersections: Between Music and Theatre in Seicento Italy: 'Benedetto Ferrari's "Poesie drammatiche" (1644): A Literary Enterprise Within the Musical Theatre'.
- ‘Poesia e Musica nei “Drammi musicali” di Girolamo Bartolommei. Prime inquisizioni’ (Bollettino di Italianistica, n.s., XV, 2018, 1, pp. 111-19).