Chrystal Macmillan Building
15a George Square
- Post code
- EH8 9LD
Tuesday to Thursday by appointment
My name is Andrew Yu. I am an ethnomusicologist and currently researching Scottish music and diaspora in the Far East, mainly focusing on how Scottish bagpipe music interacts socially, culturally, and politically in former British colonies in the Far East in the post-colonial era.
I am also a professional bagpiper, receiving musical training from 8 times Glenfiddich champion Willie McCallum at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. Before coming to the University of Edinburgh, I was a bagpiper in the Royal Air Force Halton for two years then subsequently Police Scotland Fife for one year.
Apart from my ethnomusicological research, my research interests also include social policy, politics, planning and development, conservatism, colonialism and nationalism. While the research project I am currently doing is not related to social policy, I have earned a BA in Social Policy with First Class and published some peer-reviewed papers related to social policy and politics.
BA (Hons), MScR, PGCert
Responsibilities & affiliations
- Fellow of the Royal Asiatic Society － London, the United Kingdom
- Member of the British Forum for Ethnomusicology － London, the United Kingdom
- Member of the Royal Society for Asian Affairs－London, the United Kingdom
- Member of Society for Hong Kong Studies－Hong Kong
PGSP11247 - Political Issues in Public Policy
SCAN11027 - People First: The Anthropology of International Development
Current research interestsSocial Policy, Conservatism, British Colonial History, Scottish Studies, Diaspora, Scottish Music, Freemasonry
Current project grants
The Overseas Research Scholarship (GBP 46,000), September 2018 - August 2021
Past project grants
Hong Kong Government Scholarship Fund (HKD 50,000), June 2014 - June 2017
The Hong Kong St. Andrew's Society Scholarship (HKD 30,000), September 2018 - January 2020
- Yu, A. C. K. & Lai, K. Y. (4 July 2018). Understanding Gender Differences in the relationship between Walkability and Sense of Community for Older People in Hong Kong. Social Work, Education and Social Development 2018, Dublin, Ireland.
- Lai, K. Y. & Yu, A. C. K. (4 July 2018). Quantity and quality of neighbourhood public open space and the Sense of Community of Chinese older adults in Hong Kong. Social Work, Education and Social Development 2018, Dublin, Ireland.
- Yu, A. C. K. (10 March 2018). The Scottish Piping Development in Hong Kong. International Bagpipe Conference 2018, Palma de Mallorca, Spain.
In the press
- Celtic Life International (Canada), Winter Edition 2012, Interview with Andrew Yu
- South China Morning Post (Hong Kong), 15 January 2012, Hounded from Parks for Playing the Bagpipes
- Hong Kong Free Press (Hong Kong), 6 August 2020, Academic journal reviewer says Hong Kong should be written as ‘Xianggang’ in row over official name
- CitizenNews (Hong Kong), 6 August 2020, In defense of “Hong Kong”
- As a guest host on MyRadio, Common Sense Episode 38, 17 May 2016
- As a guest host on MyRadio, Common Sense Episode 39, 24 May 2016
- As a guest host on MyRadio, Common Sense Episode 46, 12 July 2016
- As a guest host on MyRadio, Common Sense Episode 91, 23 May 2017
Made in Scotland - Celtic Connections 2019, 2 February 2019, Glasgow
Beyond the Octave Piping Recital, 4 December 2015, Singapore
Fine Piping - Traditional & Crossover, 8 June 2012, Hong Kong
- Yu, A. C. K. (2021). Review of The Craft: How the Freemasons Made the Modern World. Journal of British Studies, xx(x), in-press.
- Yu, A. C. K. (2021). The Failure of the Welfare Ideology and System in Hong Kong: A Historical Perspective. Human Affairs, 31(1), in-press.
- Yu, A. C. K. (2021). Policy process model and the systems model in monarchy: The cases of the United Kingdom and Saudi Arabia. Open Political Science, 4(1), in-press.
- Yu, A. C. K. (2020). Was Governor MacLehose a Great Architect of Modern Hong Kong?. Asian Affairs, 51(3), 485-509.
- Yu, A. C. K. (2019). Harmony and Discord: Development of Political Parties and Social Fragmentation in Hong Kong, 1980-2017. Open Political Science, 2(1), 53-63.
- Yu, A. C. K. (2019). The feasibility of the universal retirement protection scheme in Hong Kong. The Asia Pacific Journal of Advanced Business and Social Studies, 5(1), 76-84.
- Yu, A. C. K. (2018). Piping Development in Hong Kong. International Bagpipe Conference, 4, 22-23.
- Yu, A. C. K. (2018). State Examination System and Mathematics in the Tang Dynasty. Bulletin of the Chinese Association for the History of Science, 23(1), 8-15.
Publications under review
- Yu, A. C. K. (under review). Open space and sense of community of older adults: A study in Hong Kong.
- Yu, A. C. K. (under review). Walkable environment and community well-being of the elderly in Hong Kong.
- Yu, A. C. K. (under review). Rediscussing Hong Kong identity.
- Yu, A. C. K. (under review). The role of the Internet in promoting civic engagement in Asian Confucianism countries: The cases of China and Singapore.
Papers in progress
- Yu, A. C. K. (In progress). Open space and Sense of Community-structural equation modelling approach.
- Yu, A. C. K. (In progress). Good death and death anxiety, a study in Hong Kong.