Psychology and philosophy library
A dedicated library at 7 George Square
The PPLS Library has re-opened,
Owing to the nature of our library space and the continued need to make it safe for everyone, the library will be running a more restricted service than usual. Our apologies for this inconvenience.
- The Library is open on from 9.15am to 4.45pm on weekdays only during semester.
- In line with current Scottish Government guidelines please wear face coverings, use our hand sanitising stations, and use cleaning materials provided to clean desk surfaces and computer accessories.
- Study space does not need to be booked but you must check in to the desk by scanning the SeatEd QR code. To do this download the SeatEd@UoE app. This is for the purposes of the NHS Test and Protect Covid-19 close contact tracing service. When you leave please make sure you check out.
- Books from PPLS Library may be borrowed. Books on the open shelves are standard loan, short loan books are available from the librarian's office. Please fill out one of the borrowing slips and leave it in the secure box provided in the reading room. Your loan will be entered on your library record later. This measure is to help reduce delays and unnecessary close contact between staff and students.
- Please return books to the 'Returned Books' box outside the library.
- For readers who cannot attend the library in person the University Library offers a Scan and Deliver Service. For other queries Email PPLS Librarian for advice.
Contact the librarian directly
- Quiet study spaces with power sockets in rooms G1 and G4.
- Wifi (eduroam) throughout the library.
- Networked printing and photocopier, with computer for student use in room G5.
- Search tool for Edinburgh University Library DiscoverEd
- If the University Library doesn't have what you are searching for, consult Library Resources Plus
The library is staffed full-time during semester Monday to Friday 9.15 am to 1pm, 2pm to 4.45pm.
All University readers may visit the library or borrow books when it is staffed. Enquiries or requests for books outwith staffing hours can be made by email and will be answered promptly when the librarian is next working.
During University vacations the library is staffed part-time.
Out of hours access
Regrettably owing to a building problem, out of hours access has been temporarily suspended. PPLS is working to reinstate this access as soon as possible.
Unfortunately external readers cannot currently use this library in person. Email enquiries may be made to the PPLS Librarian.
Books which are on PPLS course reading lists are held in the Short Loan Section. This is located in the Librarian's office and items are for one week loan.
Books on the open shelves must be signed for but may be borrowed for a longer period. Please fill out one of borrowing slips and leave in the secure box provided in the reading rooms. Your loan will be entered on your library record later.
Ask the librarian for further information on borrowing rules.
All print journals are for reference use only.