Psychology and philosophy library
A dedicated library at 7 George Square
Covid-19 - PPLS Library
The PPLS Library unfortunately remains closed for now.
- Books borrowed from this library may be returned to the box provided in 7 George Square or to the Main Library.
- Readers may request Psychology and Philosophy Library books by emailing a request to the PPLS Librarian with the author and title of the book required and your name and student number. Books will be left at a safe collection point.
- The book request scheme is temporarily not operating fully. Email the PPLS Librarian if you require an essential item.
- The Librarian is available remotely to answer queries. Working hours may vary.
Contact the librarian directly
- Quiet study spaces with power sockets in rooms G1 and G4.
- Wifi (eduroam) throughout the library.
- Networked printing and photocopier, with computers for student use in room G5.
- Search tool for Edinburgh University Library DiscoverEd
- If the University Library doesn't have what you are searching for, consult Library Resources Plus
The library is staffed full-time during semester Monday to Friday 9am to 1pm, 2pm to 5pm.
All University readers may visit the library or borrow books when it is staffed. Enquiries or requests for books outwith staffing hours can be made by email and will be answered promptly when the librarian is next working.
During University vacations the library is staffed part-time.
Out of hours access
Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences staff, postgraduates, and 3rd and 4th year undergraduates (including those taking joint honours courses or the Cognitive Science degree programme ) may also use the Library when it is not staffed (including weekends) until 10pm. Students should leave the building at 9.30pm in time for the gates being closed at 10pm.
Access to the Library and 7 George Square outside normal office hours is by matriculation/staff card and accompanying security pin number. Your number can be found at the 'Accounts' tab on MyEd. Please register with the librarian to ensure your card is activated.
If you're external to the University of Edinburgh, you may use the library on production of an appropriate card obtained from the University's Main Library Help Desk. We regret that external readers may not borrow items from the Reserve Section.
Books which are on PPLS course reading lists are held in the Reserve Section. This is located in the Librarian's office and items are for short-term loan (one week).
Books on the open shelves must be signed for but may be borrowed for a longer period. Ask the librarian for further information.
All print journals are for reference use only.