Scottish Graduate School of Social Science - Economic and Social Research Council Funding
Information about eligibility and the application process
The University of Edinburgh is part of a consortium of 16 Universities in Scotland awarded funding from the Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC) to support postgraduate studentships and training in the Social Sciences in Scotland.
Under this Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP) Scheme, which is run by the Scottish Graduate School of Social Science (SGSSS), the consortium will consider applications for doctoral studentship awards. These can be offered as MSc plus PhD (1+3) or PhD (+3) awards depending on the experience of the applicant.
Further details about the DTP can be found at: Scottish Graduate School of Social Science
Applicants must satisfy the eligibility criteria of the ESRC. Please see the Scottish Graduate School of Social Science for further details.
- Candidates must meet all ESRC eligibility requirements.
- Candidates will normally hold a relevant First Class Honours degree (such as BA, BMus, BSc, or LLB) and preferably a similar calibre of Masters degree.
- PhD students within the eligible subject areas who are currently in their first year of study are eligible to apply.
- Awards are available to Home fee applicants and limited awards available for International applicants. The University is able to nominate up to 2 International applicants per Pathway.
- To qualify for Home status an applicant must:
- Be a UK National (meeting residency requirements), or
- Have settled status, or
- Have pre-settled status AND meet residency requirement (3 years residency in the UK/EEA/Gibraltar/Switzerland immediately before the start of their programme.) or
- Have indefinite leave to enter or remain
Psychology is one of the research training pathways that forms part of the ESRC Scottish Doctoral Training Partnership. ESRC 1+3 and +3 studentships in Psychology are available at the Universities of Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrews. Potential applicants to Edinburgh should follow the instructions below in order to be considered.
Programmes available at the University of Edinburgh include the PhD in Psychology (+3 studentships), or 1+3 studentships beginning with:
To be considered you should:
- make an application to study one of the approved programmes named above by Monday 22nd November 2021.
- register on the SGSSS Apply.
complete the SGSSS Open Competition application form and upload it to SGSSS Apply by 5.00pm Thursday 9th December 2021. Applicants will be asked to also upload copies of their transcripts, CV and two references.
It is useful for applicants to email the School Postgraduate Office to register their interest in ESRC funding as this will allow us to track your applications effectively.
PhD Application: Monday 22 November 2021
SGSSS Apply registration and submission: Thursday 09 December 2021
Students must have submitted an application to study AND have registered with the GradHub in order to be considered. Late applications will not be considered.
Intial consideration will be made internally the programme and GradHub application submitted. Shortlisted candidates will have the opportunity to work with supervisors to develop the final submission in late January/early February 2022.
Should you have any questions regarding this funding opportunity, the following contacts are available to help.
Psychology Pathway Rep: Daniel Mirman
School Postgraduate Office: School Postgraduate Office