What to do if you have a disability

Including information about adjustments

Student Disability Service

The Student Disability Service offers information and advice on all aspects of support for disabled students and can help you plan your studies at Edinburgh. The same department provides advice and support to students with dyslexia, mental health issues and students on the autistic spectrum, as well as those who have physical and sensory impairments or ongoing and fluctuating health conditions.

If you think you are eligible for adaptations, adjustments to teaching, assessment practice, or personal assistance, it is essential that you contact the Student Disability Service as soon as possible if you have not done so already.

The Service is keen to offer support in a flexible way in order to meet the needs of all students, including distance learners. Arrangements here may be different from those you already have, so an early consultation is essential.

Student Disability Service website

Mainstream adjustments

We make adjustments for disabled students such as extra time in exams. However, there are some adjustments which apply to all students, whether or not they have a disability. These cover areas such as your right to record lectures, when you should be able to access course materials and when you should be notified of any changes.

Find out more about mainstream adjustments